OW class #2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikkilj

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello again! For those keeping up with the exciting OW course for this Swamp-Diver wannabe, here is the 2nd update:

Our actual instructor was there this time... So, off to a good start! After introductions, he then informs us that he had a trip scheduled for the next two weeks, so the class votes and decides to postpone the next two classes and OW checkout. So, alas, I will not have my checkout dives until August 21, 22.

The classroom stuff was fun this time. We went over the dive tables and computers and other gauges. The instructor was great as far as giving us info that was not necessarily in the book or endorsed by our certifying agency, such as RGBM algorithms for two safety stops. After classroom and lunch, it was pool time!

We were allowed to set up our gear fairly independently this time around, with the instructor and two helpers (one DiveCon student and someone who showed up for a refresher course and volunteered to help out) wandering between us to make sure we were doing everything correctly. I graduated from an Al 63 to an Al 80 tank this time :) . Also, since I was a little underweighted last time, I added two more pounds; now I was up to 12 lbs of weight.

Instead of doing any exercises at the shallow platform, we went straight for the deep end. While my mask did well at the surface and in shallow water, as soon as I went deeper than 5 feet, it started leaking at the temples. I tried clearing it underwater, and it kept leaking, so I signaled to one of the helpers that I was going up to the surface. My instructor let me ditch the evil snorkle, wondering if it was to blame for the ongoing leaks. while that did help some, my mask was still consistently leaking, despite making sure no loose hairs were caught under it, etc. It seems like I may need to get a new mask with a smaller skirt... Ugh :) .

We also had the fun exercises of ditching our weight belt and replacing it. My husband's buckle broke when he was doing his - how's that for great practice in the pool! I almost floated to the surface when trying to replace my weight belt. That was not fun, but I guess I need to practice it more...

Ditching and replacing the BC was even more exciting. David did this perfectly... Guess it was my turn to suffer :) . I don't have a lot of upper body strength, something I know I need to work on. It was very hard for me to control the scuba unit while I was not wearing it, especially since I was l limited by the lenth of hose to the tank if I wanted to keep breathing. I reminded myself that I could still breathe and relaxed a bit. I finally managed to get the BC back on. I found the octo, I found my gauges, but where was the inflator hose?? I managed to get it tucked around my back, and my right arm through the arm hole and another hose (?). The assistant who was watching me did not even realize what I had done, and kept signalling for me to just reach back and grab the hose. I pulled on it and it would not budge. So, I had to once again take off the BC and replace it again without tangling the inflator hose. But, after it was all over with, I did feel better knowing that I could handle that. I don't know how I would handle that if there was not a bottom to kneel on, etc (eg. during a wall dive!). Our instructor said we would probably only have to do that if we were entangled. He did tell a great story though where one of his dive buddies had some fish in his BC pocket and they were feeding eels... The eel got smart, smelled the fish in the pocket, and somehow got into the guy's jacket, which he had to remove, extract the eel, and replace the BC. So, who knows?

We also had some "free" time swimming around the pool underwater. I never felt like I got my bouyancy figured out. That is definitely going to take some time!

Anyway, thanks again for tuning in! I'll give my next update in August :) .

- Mikki

My wife and I recently finished the PADI OW course. My wife had similar problems with removal and replacement of her BC. She still has some issues with neutral bouyancy, but it will come with time.

Wait until you get to underwater compass navigation!

Congrats on the second dive. It'll get much better once your through training and have a few dives under your belt.

Psst, hey you, come here. I'll tell ya a secret.

After some time and experience you'ss 'll be able to doff and don the bc on a slow drift dive.

By the way, I still need help sometimes on gettin' my arm through "which way" and not hittin' the hose thing.

Dang contortionist thing. Just keep it up! :bounce:

Congratulations. Just a little hint on the BCD thing...when you're putting it back on underwater, after reaching your right arm through the armhole, use that hand to grab the lower part of the BCD and hold it tight against your hip. Then you can use your left hand to check that the inflator hose isn't stuck inside the BCD, and put your left arm through more easily. A lot of times the students reach through with their right arm, but the tank may have a tendency to float a bit, which makes it tricky to get your left (2nd) arm in. Holding the BCD in with your right hand makes this easier.

mikkilj:
<snip>

Also, since I was a little underweighted last time, I added two more pounds; now I was up to 12 lbs of weight.

<snip>

Ditching and replacing the BC was even more exciting. David did this perfectly... Guess it was my turn to suffer :) .
<snip>
But, after it was all over with, I did feel better knowing that I could handle that. I don't know how I would handle that if there was not a bottom to kneel on, etc (eg. during a wall dive!). Our instructor said we would probably only have to do that if we were entangled.
<snip>We also had some "free" time swimming around the pool underwater. I never felt like I got my bouyancy figured out. That is definitely going to take some time!

Anyway, thanks again for tuning in! I'll give my next update in August :) .

- Mikki
Just a note, something that really hit me after my OW class. If you have enough weight that you can stay kneeling on the bottom for exercises, then you are likely overweighted.
It's very helpful to have that weight for the pool sessions, and even for the OW classes, but remember, the right weight allows you to float mid-water.
Doing a doff and don in the middle of the water is actually the goal, because let's just say you are floating over a reef or, as you say, mid-wall dive, then you need the right amount so you won't sink down down down the minute you stop finning.
And good luck to you!! Sounds like you are having a great class so far.

Sounds like you've got a few weeks to find a mask that fits.

My basic mask test is to pull the strap out of the way, then see if I can keep it snug against my face by breathing in through my nose. This isn't absolute - it's a "ballpark" test. I have masks that passed the suck in test, but still failed the dive test, so ask the LDS if you can try it in the pool.

You can probably find more detailed info if you do a search.

Back
Top Bottom