OW course: Treading water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k374

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So had my first pool session today and failed the treading water part :shocked2: I'm reasonably fit, I can ride my bicycle for 15 miles nonstop and on the elliptical in the gym burning 600 cal/hr for an hr nonstop without issues. I can also hike nonstop for 5+ miles, so I am at a loss as to why I can't tread water for more than a few mins, perhaps my technique is all wrong and combined with some fear of drowning I think I am just not relaxing. I completed the swimming part fine but the instructor said I could repeat the treading exercise tommorow. More so I am just plain embarassed that I failed it :shakehead:

So question...what is the easiest way to tread water without much effort?

I did my OW last week, used a combination of treading water, floating on my back and treading water. Don't watch the clock while doing it either, my son did and the last few minutes seemed to drag on forever for him. I think you are also on the right track about relaxing, I'm sure you are going to feel extra pressure now so just trying to relax might be a little difficult but it really will help.

What I do is a sort of gentle frog kick combined with a horizontal fanning motion with my hands. Think "wax on, wax off".

I think you're right about relaxing. Try to keep your motions mellow and use only as much energy as needed to keep afloat. Remember, you don't have to keep your chest above water, just your head.

Do you ever have conversations with friends or family while a pool? If so, think about what you do naturally to keep yourself up while you're not swimming. It's possible you've been overthinking your water treading and exhausting yourself.

Of course it helps if you have some body fat. Treading water, like floating, is a bit harder if you're very lean.

So question...what is the easiest way to tread water without much effort?

Slow sculling with arms/hands, slow scissor kick, egg-beater kick if you know how (this is a waterpolo kick, so many folks don't), or breast-stroke kick with legs. Try leaning back slightly, lungs-filled, sort of a modified back float.

Use the back-float to rest if needed.

The main thing is to relax, try not to expend too much energy.

Survival float is probably the best, but needs to be taught and practiced to get it right.

Hang in there, you'll get it.

Best wishes.

In my OW class i did float on my back once or twice to catch my breath. One thing that really helped time fly was the instructor telling funny stories and we never saw a clock. He would tell us when we had 5 mins left, 2 mins, 1 min, and 20 secs.

So maybe someone can tell you dive stories? You end up not really thinking about treading water, you just do it.

A swim coach showed me how tread water by slowly sculling my hands and doing a slow scissor kick that ends each kick by bringing my knees up toward my chest. Bringing your legs up really changes your buoyancy in the water, it makes a difference if you need to tread water over a period of time. I passed a 30 minute water tread test that way. YMMV.

Two more tips.

One: Move slowly. Slow, easy, relaxed movements are much more efficient than frantic efforts to keep one's head above water.

Two: Don't try to keep your upper body out of the water (known as "high treading.") That wastes a tremendous amount of energy and feeds into the panic cycle. Simply keep your chin above water and you'll be fine.

Why not experiment at your local pool before your next OW pool session?

Your head is heavy. Keep it as much in the water as possible and just keep your mouth out of the water. Look up slightly. Don't even worry about your nose and mouth being above water when you're exhaling (easier said than done perhaps).

Lungs full = deep inhale then shallow breathing keeping the lungs full
Head back just the face out of water.
slow movements if any.

Back
Top Bottom