OW diver below 60 feet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

daniel1948

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I got my PADI OW certification, and on my first dive after the course, the DM said we'd go down to 80 feet. I said that I only had OW, which he knew because this was the same place I'd just taken my OW course, and he said that's all right, no problem. I thought, maybe it's because a DM can take a diver deeper than that diver is allowed to go when just diving with another OW diver as a buddy.

On my next (and only other) dive trip, the dive shop owner said we'd be diving to 80 feet, and I again expressed my concern, as above, and he said, don't worry, no problem. We were always diving with a DM (maximum 6 divers per DM).

My question: was it really stupid of me to dive to 80 feet? Does the presence of a DM make the difference? FWIW, both times were in the Caribbean, warm water, excellent visibility, daytime dives.

I got my PADI OW certification, and on my first dive after the course, the DM said we'd go down to 80 feet. I said that I only had OW, which he knew because this was the same place I'd just taken my OW course, and he said that's all right, no problem. I thought, maybe it's because a DM can take a diver deeper than that diver is allowed to go when just diving with another OW diver as a buddy.

On my next (and only other) dive trip, the dive shop owner said we'd be diving to 80 feet, and I again expressed my concern, as above, and he said, don't worry, no problem. We were always diving with a DM (maximum 6 divers per DM).

My question: was it really stupid of me to dive to 80 feet? Does the presence of a DM make the difference? FWIW, both times were in the Caribbean, warm water, excellent visibility, daytime dives.

While I agree that it is wise to follow the 60-ft. guideline for a newly-certified diver, it's not a law. It sounds like under the conditions and circumstances you describe (great conditions and dive pros with you) that it wasn't a problem ... so, no, you're not stupid. :wink: The best way to gain experience is by diving.

No it was not necessarily stupid. I am a supporter of diving within your training and comfort but if the conditions are right and YOU are comfortable, then I say there is nothing stopping you. YOU are the only one that will prevent you from doing something stupid or that you are not comfortable with. If ever presented with a situation that you are nopt comfortable with, always follow your instinct as long as it does not put you into more danger. Trust me dives can be just as dangerous as any "outside of your training" dive. If you are uncomfortable with the dive up front then you are one step closer to panic before anything happens. And we all know that panic is the enemy.

Bottom line, be smart and safe, always consider your training and comfort level before agreeing to a dive and then it is ultimately up to you to have a good, safe and happy ending dive. A buddy is there to help if needed but your training needs to be there for you first.

Bottom line, be smart and safe, always consider your training and comfort level before agreeing to a dive and then it is ultimately up to you to have a good, safe and happy ending dive. A buddy is there to help if needed but your training needs to be there for you first.
Well put...

Well....

Diving to 80 feet certainly isn't a problem but ask yourself these questions:

1) Was this dive within my comfort zone?
2) Do I have the skills to make the dive safely, comfortably and still have fun?
3) Would I consider making this dive if the DM wasn't present?

If the answer to any of these questions is "no" or "not sure" then you should spend more time shallow first. Especially the answer to #3. The DM is a guide not a guardian angel. Never forget that because while some DM's are very good, it's luck of the draw and it's not wise to *depend* on them.

R..

My wife and I exceeded the 60' limit on our first post-OW certification dives in Fiji. Like you, it was in warm water with excellent visibility and a really good DM. We started at 70' on the first day and progressed to 90' by the end of the trip. I didn't feel uncomfortable or unsafe during any of the dives. I think our DM was a big factor in improving our comfort levels: He was very knowledgeable, attentive, and patient (and, most of the time, it was just my wife and me with the DM).

On our next dive trip in Belize, we went down to 130' in the Blue Hole. I felt fine on the dive, but my wife suffered from nitrogen narcosis (feeling of panic, didn't feel like the regulator was giving her enough air, etc.). Our DM -- who was also good -- quickly recognized the signs, tried to calm her down, and soon had us ascend. Certainly not an ideal dive, but I think it was a good learning experience (as well as fun up to my wife's panic attack).

Thanks for all the comments. While I agree that diving beyond one's comfort zone is a very bad idea, comfort is not necessarily an indication of safety. People can feel safe doing things they are not competent to do.

On that first 80-foot dive, my buddy was one of the co-owners of the resort. That increased my comfort level. However, I do not feel that I could execute a controlled emergency ascent safely from 80 feet. That reduced my comfort level. I looked up, and free air was a long way away!

On the second trip, arriving with 8 dives total, and faced with the prospect of the 80 foot depth (because that's where the stuff was: coral and fishes) I paid extra for a private DM the first two days. That greatly increased my comfort level. I trusted the DM because the shop had a good reputation, and I was very happy with the whole experience. After that I dived with the regular group.

Diving is way cool. I love the fishes and the corals. I have no interest in going deep. I will take AOW and the required deep dive to gain experience and knowledge and skills. I want to know how to dive deep, within recreational limits, as a skill that could be useful in an emergency situation. But deep diving does not call to me, any more than climbing tall mountains calls me, though I love (recreational) hiking in the mountains.

It's good to hear the consensus that I was not acting stupidly. Conditions were certainly ideal, I was with good people, and only a little uncomfortable, at first, at the thought that I was too deep to reach the surface on my own if my equipment failed. But then, how many deep divers could reach the surface safely if their equipment failed? Few, I think.

Daniel

I'll be a little voice to the contrary here.

The essence of the "rule" of your cert is that you are "certified" to dive to the depth and under the conditions in which you were certified. As far as I can tell, that is designed for two reasons:

a. To make sure you will have a safe dive; and
b. To make sure you will be a safe buddy.

You wrote that at 80' you were concerned that you couldn't do a CESA to the surface -- why in the world would you want to? You have a buddy for air in case you run low -- but the real question is -- does your BUDDY have a buddy in case he runs low?

I'm a big believer in staying well within your "stated" limits early on. There is plenty of time to expand later.

BTW, "bending" the rules right out of the box is NOT a good habit. Before you decide to bend a rule, you should have a good understanding of why the rule exists and why you decide to bend it. Doing a "trust me dive" this early was NOT, in my opinion, a good idea. There are lots of pretty corals and pretty fishies above 60 feet (in fact the light is a lot better and they are even prettier).

.......comfort is not necessarily an indication of safety.......

You are very correct here and most if not all responses included your training. If you are diving outside of your training, then you are less likely to recover from a problem you encounter. Training and comfort are key. This is NOT a one or the other deal.

Conditions were certainly ideal......

Ideal conditions are not always your friend. They instill a feeling of exhileration and confidence in a diver because it is so nice and everything looks close because it is so clear. NOTHING replaces your brain. You need to know what conditions you are in and how you will act if a problem arises. Again, we come back to Training.

The best indicator of what you should and should not be doing in the water is your level of comfort. If you are nervous about something, uneasy, that feeling in your stomach, then you are about to do something which you probably should not. Going to 80' in clear, warm water with a divemaster is not very risky and is done routinely with OW divers but it is your job to control what you do. There are no laws in scuba and ultimately you are responsible for yourself. Relax, practice, and have fun.

Back
Top Bottom