Oxygen Narcosis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cave Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
After reading two old threads today (oxgen narcosis and wreck penetration )

that dealt with the subject of Oxygen Narcosis, I decided to do a little digging.

I vaguely recalled seeing this subject discussed before, and it was this statement by Mike Ferrara that provided me with the clue as to where:

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
From memmory...It is thought that the nacotic effect of a gas is related to it's lipid solubility. Based on that O2 should be about twice as narcotic as N2. However, We motabolize O2 so some believe that it's a wash and their about the same.

Experiments showed that the potency of an anesthetic gas was tied to its solubility in an organic solvent (olive oil). Known as the Meyer-Overton Rule it predicts that the anesthetic potency (narcotic effect) of a gas is inversely proportionate to its lipid solubility.

Below is a list of common gasses and their solubilities from the most narcotic (xenon) to the least narcotic (helium).

Gas -------------Solubility Coefficient
  • Xenon -------------1.90
  • Nitrous Oxide ------1.56
  • Carbon Dioxide -----1.34
  • Krypton ------------.44
  • Argon --------------.15
  • Oxygen ------------.11
  • Nitrogen -----------.052
  • Hydrogen ---------- .042
  • Helium ------------- .015

I thought it interesting to note where CO2 ranked on this list. Kind of illustrates how dangerous a build up of CO2 could be on a dive doesnt it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom