p-Valve cath "sample" sources

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

viperwsu

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I searched on SB and found lots of references to Rochester catheters, and the ability to request free samples, but all of those posts are 6+ years old. In the interim it seems that Rochester was sold to Bard medical, and from there the only free samples are from their sub-company Liberty Medical. I just got off the phone with them, and after they collected my name and address, they asked me what my medical issue is. I told them I was a scuba diver - and was told that they only give samples for medical reasons, not "convenience", then they pretty much hung up on me.

It seems that Bard still makes the "Wide Band" that is so popular - does anybody have another current source for the free samples and sizing?

Bard Medical has two very similar lines of male external catheters, found here. The Spirit line uses a hydrocolloid adhesive, which they claim to be better because of its moisture-wicking properties. The Spirit line comes in three styles:
  1. Style 1 - normal length, 1.75" of adhesive
  2. Style 2 - shorter length, adhesive is more toward the end
  3. Style 3 - normal length, 3.0" of adhesive, starting more toward the end
The "other" line is nearly identical except for not using hydrocolloid, but with different naming and one extra type:
  1. Ultraflex - normal length, 1.75" of adhesive
  2. Pop-on - shorter length, adhesive is more toward the end
  3. Wideband - normal length, 3.0" of adhesive, starting more toward the end
  4. Natural - no adhesive
I've only used the Spirit and have had no problems with it. I've also found 1.75" of adhesive to be plenty - the catheter is not coming off. So, I'm not sure Style 3 / Wideband with its extra adhesive is always required. Just seems like more pain when removing it. Maybe it would be necessary for more vigorous diving than I'm doing.

As for sizing, just measure. Use a ruler or calipers. The catheters come in diameters of 25, 29, 32, 36, and 41 mm. I'd suggest sizing up if in between. I think I once saw some promotional material that included a sheet you could print out with holes to cut out.

I've found Allegro Medical to have good prices and quick and often free shipping.

Good luck!

Sizing up? You must be joking. I tried using the proper size according to Rochester's measuring device and had several "blow off". After speaking with there sales representative and explaining how I was using them for diving, I was told that I should order one size smaller. I know it goes completely and totally against everything any male has ever been told or learned about his size, but swallowing my pride and ordering one size smaller has solved any and all of my issues.

Sizing up? You must be joking. I tried using the proper size according to Rochester's measuring device and had several "blow off". After speaking with there sales representative and explaining how I was using them for diving, I was told that I should order one size smaller. I know it goes completely and totally against everything any male has ever been told or learned about his size, but swallowing my pride and ordering one size smaller has solved any and all of my issues.

I concur. Size down vs size up.

As far as sampling goes, just order 2 or 3 of different sizes and try them to see what suits you best. I just wrapped some string around my member and measured it to see roughly what I would need based off measurements I found on the website.

you can be "macho" and size up so all your buddies see that 41mm cath in your dive bag and cover yourself in piss every dive, or you can wear a fitting cath...

I go with the later. Also, Rochester wideband are probably the best caths I have used.

I have a "sizing card" around here somewhere. Thin cardboard with cutouts (semicircular) for the different sizes. I will find it and send it to you if you PM me an address. I agree with earlier recommendations about sizing down, but everyone is different.

DW

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom