Pacific Garbage Patch - We need your help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadrewvideo

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Aloha all ScubaBoarders,
I have seen some increased desire from people who want to get involved with conservation issues, whether new to diving or an algae covered old timer.

What I am posting is an issue that is not only growing in epidemic proportions, but it effects us all, regardless of where we live or what we do for a living. I am speaking of the Pacific Garbage Patch problem that is now undergoing its 10th year of scientific study. In short, every piece of plastic trash that has ended up in the ocean is now circulating in a region of the Pacific called the Northern Pacific Gyre.

I was on fortunate enough to be on board in 2002 to witness the plastic first hand and it was appalling. This is an area once believed to be larger than the state of Texas but recent studies have indicated that it has grown to be larger than the mainland US.

Last year's voyage discovered that the plastic, originally found mixed with and ingested by plankton in 2002, is now being found in the stomachs of fish large enough to be harvested for human consumption. This proves without a doubt that the fears from 7 years ago have materialized and the plastic is in our global food supply.

Currently the Algalita Marine Research Foundation is in the planning stages of this summer 2009 Gyre voyages. I am scheduled to be a Videographer/Crew/Correspondent for a portion of those voyages in order to videotape document the current conditions, assist in the research, report back to a variety of media outlets from Facebook networking to mainstream media (Good Morning America).

Right now the biggest way people can help is by helping get the funding to secure the summers voyages. If you are able to, and would like to help, either with direct donations or connecting with those in a position to donate, please follow the link to the Algalita Marine Research Foundation (AMRF) website.
I also plan to put together a documentary of the voyage to be aired on whatever programming network wants to air it. I currently am producing a monthly underwater adventure series to be aired on pacificnetwork.tv and I plan to have at least 2 episodes be based on my experiences and discoveries during the voyage.
I am personally looking for assistance from media experts regarding video uploading via satellite, and steaming video feeds to be run on Facebook and other internet programming networks or any media outlet for that matter, as well as funding support for my documentary.
Please take the time to follow the links and learn more about this issue and how we all can help to find a solution before all of our seafood becomes too toxic to eat.
If you have any additional questions you can contact Capt Charles Moore or the staff at AMRF, or you can contact me via ScubaBoard (scubadrewvideo), Facebook (Andrew ScubaDrew Wheeler)or email (dwheeler@scubadrewvideo.com)
Mahalo,
Drew Wheeler

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom