Pacific Hurricane Season and Socorro Diving Trips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seriously, I do hope you have travel insurance for what many of us would consider to be the trip of a lifetime.

Speaking from the perspective of someone who booked an October La Paz trip back in late May and skipped even considering travel insurance because I've done dive trips in the Sea of Cortez in September and October, and never had issues with hurricanes.

Of course, I re-thought that decision when Hurricane Odile started zeroing-in on Baja. Purchasing travel insurance became a moot issue as the insurance companies I contacted told me that I needed to have purchased a policy to cover the trip prior to the storm being named. La Paz got hit and we began watching Tropical Storm Polo begin to form and move north.

As it stands right now, my trip has not been cancelled and Polo has become less of a threat, the La Paz resort we'll be staying at has reported minimal damage, and we're hoping they have power and water back online when we leave for Mexico next week. Odds are pretty good that we'll be okay.

Someone previously noted that weather is a crapshoot; I wholeheartedly agree. One of the original storm track models I saw for Hurricane Odile predicted that the storm would subject Baja to a glancing blow around Cabo San Lucas, swing into the Pacific and come ashore just south of San Diego and the U.S. Border. I was shocked when the storm essentially moved right up the center of Baja after scoring a direct hit on Cabo San Lucas.

The forecasters do the best they can, but sometimes the weather does its own thing. Hope your trip date arrives with zero weather issues.

We'll be purchasing travel insurance for our trip to Hawaii in December.

-AZTinman

AZTinman;7227722 Seriously, I do hope you have travel insurance for what many of us would consider to be the trip of a lifetime.
For the third time, yes I have very comprehensive Travel & Diving Insurance. Never leave the UK without it. But I as I clarified above, my dilemma had nothing to do with claiming travel insurance later but consideration of whether I needed to change my plan now - 8 months before the trip. And the "someone" who noted that the weather was a crapshoot also answered my question clearly.

Lighten-up Hintermann... I got you the first time and was concerned that you misread my effort to engage in some light-hearted banter with my short comment about travel insurance. Geez already... sorry if adding my experience with failing to purchase travel insurance offended your sensibilities.

Sharing my experience was less about you and more about helping others avoid the stress of the kind of situation I ran into. Not everyone including me is blessed with the foresight you obviously possess.

-AZTinman

I took rocio del mar in May this year and the trip was disrupted by a hurricane. If you are interested in the outcome, my trip report link is below

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/li...ns-buddies-hurricane-socorro-trip-report.html

Thanks Mantajohn. That was a perfect report and answered my questions in the best possible manner. I'll just cross my fingers, arms, legs and everything else that is crossable and hope that Amanda's sister does not pay us a visit this coming May. But from your report, it looks like the crew od RdM do have a Plan B up their sleeve.

After Socorro I am going across to Bonaire for another week of diving. It should be an interesting contrast!

PS: I note that I live just up the track from you. 2 junctions further west on the M4.

Our trip in June ran into Adele this year and we ended up in the Sea of Cortez. Mid-May should be fine. I've gone in Nov with good weather, but not as much animal activity, and twice in Jan; once excellent, once very so-so.

We have a full trip next March for whale season, that generally is a good time to go.

Jack

The reason I chose May to make the Socorro trip was to give myself the best chance of seeing Hammerhead sharks; of course, the giant mantas, other sharks, dolphins etc will be a bonus. Hope to get some good pictures and video clips. I got myself a 64GB SDXC card to allow enough footage space.

You will love the RdM. If Guarani is still guiding, say hi to him from Lynne and Peter!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom