Pacific Trash Vortex! Wow! I had no idea it was this bad!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did anyone see this photo that appeared on the cover of the local newspaper "The Maui Weekly" a couple weeks ago? It is a shot of Kaho'olawe and one of the (few) sandy beaches over there. Nice, huh? Not sure but that is either Maui or Lanai in the background... sad...

503070_1.jpg

The caption read:

Northeast trade winds and prevailing currents bring a constant stream of debris to Kaho‘olawe’s five-acre Keoneuli Beach in Kanapou Bay. The drift of detritus includes fishing gear, nets, plastic and other material, which threatens coral reefs and ruins the habitat of a wide variety of endangered and threatened marine life, including the Hawaiian monk seal, the green and hawksbill sea turtles, humpback whales and seabirds. For years, Kaho‘olawe Island Reserve Commission volunteers have participated in debris removal events that remove tons of material, including a 2010 cleanup funded by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, which removed an estimated 20 tons of marine debris from the bay.

Photo courtesy of NOAA

Here's a link to the article:

Marine Debris Meeting Addresses Challenges - MauiWeekly.com | News, information, serving Maui, Hawaii weekly

Northeast trade winds and prevailing currents bring a constant stream of debris to Kaho‘olawe’s five-acre Keoneuli Beach in Kanapou Bay. The drift of detritus includes fishing gear, nets, plastic and other material, which threatens coral reefs and ruins the habitat of a wide variety of endangered and threatened marine life, including the Hawaiian monk seal, the green and hawksbill sea turtles, humpback whales and seabirds.

For years, Kaho‘olawe Island Reserve Commission volunteers have participated in debris removal events that remove tons of material, including a 2010 cleanup funded by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, which removed an estimated 20 tons of marine debris from the bay.

Shaka Doug, have you ever heard of this project? This sounds like something that would be great for Hawaii or places that have trash problems.

Check out this web site.
Making Oil from Plastic

Last edited:
WOW! I guess we fixed it! No one wants to talk about it here on SB anymore so it must not matter to SCUBA divers! That's awesome.

Hawaii! We Are Saved! Trash Vortex? What Trash Vortex? The trash vortex is history! Over a year since anyone bothered to comment and instead just bury this post... and it looks like this little problem just "went away...."

That's cool now I don't have to worry about it anymore... That ban on plastic bags on Maui must be working. I'm so happy now!

:)

Wait... it's BA-AAAACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AQUA SEAFOAM SHAME

[video=youtube;NBn5ck8WtC4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NBn5ck8WtC4#![/video]

---------- Post added ----------

Shaka Doug, have you ever heard of this project? This sounds like something that would be great for Hawaii or places that have trash problems.

Check out this web site.
Making Oil from Plastic

Thanks!

Here's a quote from that page:

Plastic trash is also causing heavy pollution on beaches and oceans around the world. Tons of plastic from Japan and US is left afloat in the Pacific Ocean, which is endangering marine life significantly.

We got back Sunday from the Big Island after a ten day trip. Sadly I had grabbed a few photos to specifically add to this thread. At Pololu Valley Beach I about started to cry due to the fact here we stood on this beautiful remote beach, yet mans dirty hand filled with plastic had dumped itself on the beach. The pictures speak for themselves.

The coast is gorgeous and there are no roads continuing around the coast. It is a very remote area, requiring about 30 minutes to hike into.

2.jpg

The photo below was shot right at the high tide line. Many of the small dots you see are bits of plastic in different colors.

3.jpg

Maybe there is something you recognize in this photo below? Most of the plastic had already been broken into smaller pieces to be ingested by the ocean creatures.

1.jpg

Starting to repair the ecosystem comes from everyone's helping hand. You can share your knowledge of the problem to inform others so they too can help fight for the planets health.

Peter_C....

I hit the LIKE button but, I don't LIKE it.... you know what I mean?

Thanks for taking the time and making an effort to help spread the word. People have a saying around here... a supposed "Hawaiian" word but I think it's just some kind of slang... "Ainokea!" (translation: "I No Care") Sorry but it's time to "Kea!" (Care!).

Maybe all that micro-plastic in the water is causing this?:
6-3-12 Diving Five Caves & Makena Landing 056.jpg

No biggie, right? I took this turtles' picture yesterday. It is only one of the several sick turtles I showed to the tourists on my dives in Makena... They don't much like seeing these poor animals any more than I do...and the turtle? Well he can't even see us!

Hey check this little graphic out:

The gif wouldn't import to this page so if you want to see the 10 year projection click the link.

Tsunami Debris Forecast

This is what I pulled out of the ocean today from dive sites in Makena, Maui:

6-9-12 Diving Five Caves & Makena Landing 042.jpg

Attachments

• Simulation_of_Debris_from_March_11_2011_Japan_tsunami.jpg
    Simulation_of_Debris_from_March_11_2011_Japan_tsunami.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 690
Shaka, How are you? Had a great time diving in Maui with....in April....That garbage vortex only gets larger and is likely more serious especially how our great US disposes its human waste in the ocean. More and more I believe humans are the most disgusting of species on Earth. Governments and humanitarian organizations believe other pressing topics to be of greater consequence....Somehow I don't know why all people feel the need for convenience over forsaking the common good of our environment, (even the most ardent environmentalists are guilty), seems minor mental attitude adjustments and modern quick disposal economy habit changes would go a long way to clean up and reduce this mess. But a crisis of people hurt, in peril or physically/mentally must occur before governments will do something...especially this....another inconsequential 'not in my backyard' resolution for our modern society. The garbage will literally need to be floating onto the most beauteous beaches before people start recognizing the urgency and need for activism....and then it might be too late.

I wish this conversation had a more prominent place for all divers....

sorry for the ramble....what can i say....i already see the crap when i dive in New England.

~dave

Wow Doug, that trash vortex is scary. I knew it was coming but didnt realize it was so large. It make me feel like the fishing weights and trash I bring back from my dives makes such a little dent in the big scheme of things. I have seen that turtle and a few other like it and it is very sad. A few weeks ago I saw one with fishing line wrapped around his fins and tumors. I thried to cut our the line but felt it was hurting him too much because it was underneth his tumors. He also had the hook in his mouth. I would like to believe what people say about hooks disolving in two weeks.

If there are any underwater clean up organized keep me posted. I enjoy doing what I can.

Hey check this little graphic out:

The gif wouldn't import to this page so if you want to see the 10 year projection click the link.

Tsunami Debris Forecast

This is what I pulled out of the ocean today from dive sites in Makena, Maui:

View attachment 126498

That mass of debris is already showing up on the Washington & Oregon coast lines. A 60' floating dock beached last week in Oregon. There was a pile of debris with a Harley Davidson motorcycle wadded up in it that landed on a Washington beach the week before.
I would guess it will cause massive devistation to the undersea wildlife over the next year or so.

How ironic, when I clicked the link to read the article originally posted, it had ads at the top and bottom for plastic bags, caps and containers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom