Package deal vs. piece-meal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

astrl

Contributor
Reaction score
What do you ladies think of package deals vs. buying each piece of equipment individually? Have any of you ordered equipment from the internet as opposed to buying at the local LDS?

Also, I see a lot of discussions about BC's and none about regulators or dive computers. What are you favorites and why? I will be buying equipment soon and would like to hear some input about brands and styles.

I love this bulletin board! I think this is the best idea anyone has had yet!

astrl

My $.02.

Package deals are great if you can afford to buy a large amount of gear (BCD, reg, computer) all at the same time. Otherwise buy what you can afford when you can afford it. I see a lot of people plunking down plastic to invest in expensive toys. I believe you enjoy the hobby more if it doesn't compromise your ability to feed yourself and your family.

Another consideration for going piece-meal is that rarely does one dive shop sell all available brands. If you want a Scubapro reg, a Seaquest BCD, Suunto computer and one dive shop sells them then you are set but I like to pick the gear I want and not buy what the LDS has pre-packaged as a "deal".

As with anything, the people who work in a store are usually not the best source for info on what gear works best even if they don't work on commission. The dive shop gives them such cut rates on the gear they sell they rarely have they tried a lot of brands. Previously discussed on this board is the fact that LDS's require Divemasters, AI's and Instructors to only use gear they sell when working with students to promote that gear. Know your source when excepting a recommendation on gear.

Finally, support your LDS's. Gear you buy on-line might be cheaper but there are plenty of stories on this board about eBay transactions gone bad. I think the piece of mind and future service you will receive from your LDS will be well worth it. As with gear, choose an LDS wisely and you don't have to lock in to just one. In the past year, my husband and I have patronized 3 dive shops in our area and one a few hours away near our favorite local divesite. We spend plenty of money in each and they all have their strengths and weaknesses. Some divers get emotional about their "home" LDS but I think it is a good idea to look around.

In terms of my gear:
Reg - Scubapro M20-G250 with Air2
BCD - Diva LX
Computer - Suunto Mosquito
Wetsuit - Liquid Fit
Camera - MX-10 with Strobe

I am happy with everything I have. The only think I might do different is check out the Ladyhawk BCD. Unfortunately it was not out when I bought my Diva but I have heard very good things and would want to evaluate it.

I highly recommend Liquid Fit for wetsuits if you aren't an "off the rack" size. Another bonus is that they can alter if your size changes. I am pregnant right now and glad that my diving future does not depend of my loosing all my baby weight before I can go again post baby!

Hope this helps!

:bunny: Heather :bunny:

Buying equipment as a package at a reduced price is great if you know exactly what you want. Most LDS's will price match or price adjust to get your business if you let them know what you can buy it for elsewhere. Some brands are not available online...for example Scubapro. Scubapro dealers are NOT supposed to discount more than 10/%. This protects the dealers from discounters.

Many great products are available online such as computers which are not a personal (fitted) product and you can save hundreds here. For reviews that are not female oriented for fit etc go to the individual topic or use the search mode to locate reviews and comments online.

The ideal is to establish a relationship with a local LDS and buy from him when he has a product you want at a fair price. My LDS knows that I review products online and then discuss my choices and he gives me his best price. I have even told him that my goal is to give him as many dollars as I can as long as it is equipment that I truly want and the price is good. This has worked out

The other gals have given you some good advice. Buying your gear in a package is only a good deal if the package includes what you want. If you aren't sure what you want, you're not ready to buy yet. Do your research first, narrow your choices down to 1 or 2 brands/models then shop for prices.

If you'll go to the seperate forums under Scuba Equipment you'll find discussions on all gear. Personally, I use a BP/wing because I like the custom fit I get from it. You can also get an excellent fit with Zeagle BC's. They have seperate size modules for a close to perfect fit. My computer is an Oceanic Data Max Pro Plus. It's easy to use, large display is easy to see and is very reliable. I still use my original SeaQuest Spectrum/XR2 set of regs. Unfortunately it's no longer made. AquaLung, Apex, Zeagle and ScubaPro all make excellent regs. I also have a Liquid Fit wetsuit. And it does fit my unique shape like a glove.

I buy some stuff online but I am a big believer in supporting the LDS's when possible. All life support equipment, ie. regs, computers and BC's, should be bought from your local LDS...in my opinion. These items need to be serviced regularly and are the things that utilize warranties the most. Yes, you can find some great prices online but 99% of the time the seller is not authorized to sell them (grey market goods), and the manufacturers warranty will not be honored. Are you getting current models or old stock some shop has dumped into the grey market? You won't know. Who will you go to when something goes wrong with it? Some online business' say they will give you their own warranty but are they trained to fix whatever is broken? Being life support gear I don't trust they'll do as good a job as an authorized repair shop. And my life is worth more to me than saving money.

As mentioned, alot of dive shops will try to match internet prices as close as they can. At the very least give them the chance to get your business first. You'll be surprised how many will deal with you when you are honest about it!

If you buy the package, you have everything ready-to-go. When I was a newbie, I did not know if I preferred an Apex or a Titan, an OUtback or a Ranger, an Oceanic or a Suunto. I really hadn't a clue, and I was influenced by anyone who seemed to know better than me. I thought I wanted an integrated BC (due to my 1st OW dive coinciding with bad cramps). I thought I needed a 2-pc wetsuit. I spent a ton of money, struggled with cumbersome equipment that was not right for me, then it all got stolen. I started over, and with 3 years experience, I was better prepared to ask for what I needed.

What I am saying is: a package takes away the indecision that is usually overcome with inappropriate advice anyway.

A package gets you in the water for a special price, lets you experience diving with all new equipment that is, minimally, SAFE and under warrenty.

A package will contain some stuff you will keep using till it disintegrates & some stuff you will choose to replace later. But it will all have re-sale value, & some LDSs (like mine) will buy back stuff to put on their Used table & give you some credit toward the new item that you really want.

If you don;t really know what toys are best for you (yes, YOU, not the salesperson or another girl who is about your size, or your boyfriend the divemaster), you may as well get the package now. Only time & experience will even tell you the right questions to ask about your future gear.

Definitely support your LDS! I have found that they quite often can beat prices at the chain stores and even the on-line merchants. Frankly, I haven't been impressed with on-line prices.

My LDS often has equipment on consignment. Many newbies buy equipment then lose interest and sell the equipment. Sure it's used, but if you have it properly checked out and serviced, you have an opportunity to pick up excellent equipment for a song. My LDS even let me try out the equipment before purchasing it. A great opportunity, to say the least.

I purchased my reg and BC used. Even my weights were used. I considered buying my tanks used, but I have to admit I purchased them from a big chain store. My LDS won't carry AL 80's - the big chain sells them at cost. No one can beat that. Used tanks you still should have visually inspected and they often need hydro testing. Those tests are on top of the price of the tank. No deals were to be had with used tanks.

Like former replies, I'd stay away from eBay for most equipment, but weights and such you don't have to worry too much about.

If it were me doing it all over, I would choose a cheap-ish to mid-priced package. Why? Because the super-cheap stuff (which is NOT dangerous, just not necessarily the most spiffy or perfectly comfortable) is all about putting together a package whose main attractive attribute is CHEAPNESS (great for when u have to replace a whole kit at one, but I would like to see a newbie with really comfortable stuff)

The expensive packages often feature gear with lots of interesting features which may confuse & overwhelm a newbie. I would tell an newbie to ask for simple, straightforward gear without innovative gadgets, something light & easy to carry & clean, a BC that protects the spine, and a reg that breathes pretty easy at 80'. If u get an integrated BC (which I really hate for myself), get an easy-to-release weight system If you don't know why a gold-plated octopus is "better," you may not need it! See if you can get stuff that is a variation on the stuff u liked using in class.

And, oh yes, I don't mess with e-bay; have seen friends get junk dumped on them that no fool would buy if they saw it at a garage sale.

I agree with art.chick, the cheapest just doesn't last.
I bought mid-range through the dive shop I recieved my training at. I'm very happy with my equipment. Because I did my training through the shop he gave me a discount also.
With regards to e-bay. I would not buy high dollar equipment.
I have bought little items just as a mask/snorkel holder by Akona and some equipment clips and have been satisfied. :mean:

I've been really frustrated in my efforts to try and find a good LDS. I have tried the two "main" ones in my area and a third smaller one. I spent a bunch of money at one, my husband spent a smaller chunk of money at another -- and I haven't been impressed with the service.

I have recently been using the service of a dive shop where I frequently vacation, but, frankly, they are better for the diving services they offer... so I still find myself struggling for a good supportive retailer / service professional.

<sigh>

Thanks for letting me vent.

Liz

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom