PacketSniffer - Richard Mork Passes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No information is being made available at this time other than he was diving on a rebreather with an open circuit buddy on the main line somewhere around the third tee at Jackson Blue Spring. An investigation into the cause of the incident is being conducted. All information I have seen posted in forums express condolences for a friend we will all miss.

Dive safe!

I am in shock....just can't believe it

Adieu Richard...you'll be greatly missed

I sent the following email out to my dive buddies yesterday when I heard about it...

Richard Mork died today at Jackson Blue Springs in Marianna, FL. I do not know details, I just know he was doing something he loved at the time of his death. Thats something I think we can all appreciate I think. Richard(packetsniffer on the internet forums) truly enjoyed cavediving, and everything to go along with it. He was adventuresome in that he was always willing to explore, even if it meant a wasted trip not finding anything, or lots of hard work. He's dived many of the caves in FL from Eagles Nest, to several of the deep holes in Wakulla County, to the many caves within Marianna and surrounding areas.

I think the last time we hung out, was out at Morrison Springs after a weekend of diving in Marianna. We got lost in the woods searching for a supposed backdoor into the Morrison Cave system. This backdoor has not been verified, nor was our information by any means reliable. We infact didn't find anything on this trip, albeit learned a bit(always bring GPS, compass, and good shoes). Finding nothing, Richard spearheaded several email conversations to go back and try at finding this hole again, with some more, unreliable, information that we had gained from our first attempt. He was just that kinda person. God, I truly wish we could have tried it again.

Here's a picture Richard took with his camera(on timer and propped on a tree) from our stroll through the woods

DSC00248_.JPG

We were lost, tired, dirty, and most importantly happy. I'm gonna miss my friend.

Mathew Bull

SuPrBuGmAn

In another thread it asked that you post your favorite pics. Packet posted this one, I thought it appropriate to put here in his memory:

RM_DT_1.jpg

Quote from Packet:
Most people love to laugh (at least I do). I believe it reaches down to their soul for that "killer connection".

Last edited:
MY heartfelt sympathies go out to his family. All of who knew Richard are in shock. He was a great friend and a great supporter when I was first learning to dive. Richard left this world doing what he loved, and I know that all of us are richer fro having known him even briefly.

His first post on ScubaBoard, July 14th, 2005:
Hello All,

I'd like to say first that this forum is awesome. It's such as wealth of information. I have been actively using the search function to uncover tons o' nuggets. :)

I have just entered this great sport. I can't believe that I haven't done this earlier. Anyway, I live on the west side of Houston. I just certified for OW in May and have done some dives in Qatar and Oman. I travel a bit in my profession. I just returned from Qatar after being there nine months which is where I was certified. So, I am getting back into the swing of things and am looking for responsible dive buddies. I'm single so you single girls out there shouldn't be afraid to give me a jingle if you'd like to go for a dive. :wink: I'd be happy to team up with you in a group too if that makes you more comfortable. I'm easy to get along with and really enjoy any adventure.

I am in the process of obtaining my own gear. I am pretty much sold on a BP/W but so far have not found any dive shops that either rent this gear out or allow trials or even have the stuff. If there are any experienced BP/W divers in Houston and you wouldn't mind diving with me, I would be eager to dive with you to soak up the details of BP/W diving. I would be very grateful. I'm still a bit fuzzy on the details of how the BP, W, and tank are connected so due to lack of experience, I'm having a problem choosing specific equipment (i.e., get STA or not?). I'd like to make the best choice first if possible. I have read so much here that I think I need to actually see a BP/W rig to understand the intricate details of it completely. Also, I would really like to dive with someone who has any type of DSS rig. I am liking what Tobin offers.

See ya below the surface,

Richard

Rest in peace my friend. Your memory will live on in your friends and in your children.

There is peace in knowing that such an extrordinary person lived but there is great sadness this day.

Last edited:
My condolences to his friends and family.

Two unfortunate passings have been announced today - Richard Mork's and Brian Howard's - let's ensuring whatever the cause of these accidents are that we find ways of stopping them and keeping safe through prevention - our communities better dive entities will not let these lives be lost in vain.

Bless

Last edited:
My most sincere and heartfelt condolences go out to his family and friends. :depressed:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom