Packing light for Yap & Palau! Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Karen Dancheck

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My husband and I have just booked our first trip to Yap and Palau. Yeah!! I'd like to eliminate one of our checked bags to avoid all the crazy airline fees. We are staying at Sea Passions and were wondering what the options for doing laundry are? Also, are toiletries such as shampoo, sunblock, bug spray CRAZY expensive? I don't want to carry 3 weeks worth of heavy liquids.

Thanks!

You can use Sea Passion's Laundry service, or go into Main Street Koror (long hot dusty walk) and use the coin op laundromat in town. Plenty of convenience stores within short walking distance of Sea Passion Hotel, and the sundries/toiletries aren't outrageously more expensive than you would find in an ABC store in Waikiki Beach Honolulu.

Ask your dive masters/dive guides where they go to do their laundry. Also take advantage of the Blue Bird Shuttle Bus in the afternoon/evenings that goes into downtown Koror (for shopping & eateries) and serves all the major hotels ($7 pass for a week).

Pack what you think you need in your suitcase.
Take half out.
Take half out again.
Now look in your suitcase.
You still have twice as much as you need.

:d

You both should get one free bag checked since it's an international flight & depending on the airline. Otherwise agree with rjp you don't need nearly as much stuff as you think you do. We're just back from Palau at Sea Passion and they provide toiletries and even a couple of toothbrushes with small toothpaste in packages. Also we never needed our bug spray. Though ran into a kid who was in Yap week before and got eaten by bugs in the mangroves there. I only snorkeled Palau and never used my wetsuit as water temps were 84. Enjoy!

Just back from 11 days in Palau. It's very informal. We lived in shorts, t-shirts & flip-flops. I just rinsed a few things each night and hung them up to dry to avoid having to bring too many changes of clothes.

Thanks for all the tips! Our trip is months away and I already want to start packing!!

hey karen...i'm looking to take the trip to yap and palau as well. i've been trying to get airline details from manila and not seeing anything without an 18 hour layover in guam. who did you book your flights through? thanks!

I was faced with a similar dilemma with weight restrictions flying intra island in French Polynesia. Their limit is 40lbs. I was able to cut 12 lbs from my usual 50lb dive bag by replacing my BCD with a light weight travel BCD and packed light weight pocket fins and left my heavier open hell fins and boots at home. Hope this helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom