Packing to travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For clothing: You never need as much as you think.

Two things I never leave home without: 1) a long black travel dress like they sell at TravelSmith or Lands' End and 2) black high quality (non hiking shoe looking) sandals that also support enough to wear as walking shoes [Ecco, Clarkes, etc.].
I found that a good quality pair of sandals (black) that can double as walking shoes works great. The sandals can be paired with the travel dress for evenings that require a more dressed attitude. And the dress is light enough to air while hanging during the day and/or can be rinsed in a hotel sink and drip-dry.

Also bring cheap $2.99 flip flops for the dive boat (they crush in your bag fine). And sneakers/gym shoes.

2 bathing suits (one to wear, one to hang dry) in black or navy what can do double duty under a gauzy shirt or denim shirt while site seeing or at night.

khaki shorts are acceptable almost anywhere as long as you pair it with a clean non-emblem T-shirt or bathsuit with long-sleeve shirt.

Undies and non-underwire bras: get some that have a cotton/lycra mix. You can rinse in sink and drip-dry at night or bring many pairs as they crush down in you bag. Also get yourself a travel-brick. TravelSmith and such carry 3 sided zipper squares that are mesh. You can cramp them full and zip up the "un-mentionables" and have no fear if you bag is opened or has to be opened as they wont spill-out.

I DO NOT us a wheeled bag for a carrying on regs and computers or cameras as over booked flights or ones in which you have to "hop" to an island will almost always require you to check all bags at the gate, even after they didn't take the bag at regular check-in. Put you change of clothes and things you may need right away in the wheeled bag, as the last-minute checked bag will be on the tarmac when you land. Put the reg and computers and camera in a purse-looking or brief case which they will allow you to put under the seat in front of you. This way they don't get banged around in the last-minute check-in.

As for marked bags: I always get extra insurance for my dive large bag which doesn't has a dive flag on it, but does say "Mares". And I put those little luggage lock on it. My husband use to work for the airlines. He says the large locks scream "Valuables!" and your bag will undoubtingly get on a later flight. The little ones are a nuisance to any luggage handler riffling through bags and will go for the unlocked ones. Large wheeled duffles are so common now, that they don't scream for attention.

Have fun on your trip --Starfish

Carry-on backpak - RX mask, regs and computer, logbook, swimsuit, 1pr. shorts, 1 t-shirt, toiletry bag.

Camera case - carry on

Lg. plain suitcase dive bag - all dive gear and clothes for the week and 1 pr. flip flops. I wear my booties on the boat. I also usually take 10# of soft weights with me and always come in under the 70# limits.

Clothes for 7 days - The shorts and t-shirt I wear for departure is what I'll wear home. Add to that 3 t-shirts and 2 pr, shorts. I'll be diving all day so daily wear is swimsuit with a t-shirt over it. Wearing a suit of clothes only long enough to eat in and maybe walk around a bit means I wear them more than once. (My friends don't mind seeing me in the same t-shirt for dinner 2-3 nights in a row! Others opinions don't matter to me.) I usually come home with shorts and t-shirts I didn't wear.

So I have a rolling suitcase, a camera case that I carry and I wear a back-pak...and I always have stuff I didn't need.

If you like to dress up at night, and require more girly clothes than t-shirts and shorts, your mileage will vary! ;^) I go on dive trip to dive and pack accordingly.

OK I confess. I've been following this post. All good advise. I'll tell you all a secret. I pack my standard size extra firm pillow in the extra front zipper part of my checked suit case.
If I don't have my pillow I don't sleep.
:sunny:

I started using brightly colored wire ties to secure my luggage. My luggage is easier to spot at baggage claim and I hope I am not deluding myself to think that I would be able to tell if someone had gone through my bag because the wire tie would be off.

Can baggage handlers take those things off easily? I know I have a heck of a time and I'm prepared.

How about securing luggage with tie-wraps, the ones you use to secure your inflator hose with?

When I saw that all that was holding my inflator valve to the hose was $0.30 cents worth of plastic, I stood there with my mouth open, but they work

They are cheap and can only be removed by cutting them. I would think they would be a good deterant to anyone going through your bags.
Just make sure you carry extras and a small key chain pocket knife in case your asked to open your bags for inspection and to replace for the return trip.

Great responses. I am back from Maui and found that I way over packed. We had a washer and dryer in our condo, and with all the towels that needed to be washed and dried we did our shorts and t-shirts daily. I could have made it with 2-3 pair of shorts and shirts. Did wear sun dresses for dinner on 3 nights. I ended up shipping my dive bag and gear back home. Wow did not anticipate that cost. Atleast I did not have two wheeled bags to check and it gave me room for the souveniers that I bought. I did six dives in the 8 days and had a terrific time. But now I know when we go to Playa del Carmen in February what not to take. By the way I carried my mask in a the Carry on bag with cameras and extra set of clothes, my regulator and dive computer in a black briefcase style bag. I had no problems with keeping them with me as carry ons, even though our flight back was over booked.

I'm with Starfish and sea nmf, I use the the plastic locking ties to close my luggage. I go to the local electricl shop and buy coloured ones (not black or white). As was mentioned, if some energetic soul were to cut off the tie, it's real obvious -- and if they were to try and replace the ties (to hide the fact), it would also be obvious.

I've just come back from two weeks away - this is what I used: 2 bathing suits, 2 t-shirts (bought a new one so I ended up with three), 1 "nice" top, 3 shorts - one has those zipper legs, so I also had a pair of pants, two sets of "unmentionables", sleep wear, toiletries. And of course my dive stuff.

Now mind you I was participating at a research station, so dress up was not required at all. Like someone suggested I have a crushable dress that I pack for dress up occassions. It converts to a long skirt so I can use it a lot of different ways.

The "nice" top and 1 pair of shorts was reserved for travel.

Well girl! You are taking way too much luggage! Especially for 1 week! Take your rolling duffel for your dive gear; your carry-on/(back pack is best for carry-on by the way - frees up your hands!)for your breakables and one small suitcase or duffle for your clothes! Maui's great - but if you're diving lots - how many clothes do you need? T-shirts and shorts for the days - (water shoes or sandals for that attire!); just a few little sundresses/skirts for an evening with one pair of dressy sandals to go with that stuff! Co-ordinate to cut back on the luggage. Tell you what - pack everything you THINK you will need - then go back and take out ONE THIRD - and you will be set.
Have a great time! (diving there before?) Who are you diving with? Do the back side of the Molikini Crater (can be challenging with current, etc.- but good stuff!)
"Call" if you need any more info!
KLAS in Canada

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom