Air Asia Indonesia - Weird luggage pricing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think point is to sell you 2 separate baggage classes; If I have to pack only dive equipment to sport luggage, I have to buy another baggage that is also 20kg for the rest of my personal stuff.
No. You have an option with AA as most airlines are just keeping it simple.
You can simply pack everything in one or two bags and pay accordingly.
My checked bag with full scuba kit is under 20kg and there is no reason for me to pay for two bags. Scuba equipment is pretty tough and I never had anything broken in my soft checked bag.

No. You have an option with AA as most airlines are just keeping it simple.
You can simply pack everything in one or two bags and pay accordingly.
My checked bag with full scuba kit is under 20kg and there is no reason for me to pay for two bags. Scuba equipment is pretty tough and I never had anything broken in my soft checked bag.
Well that is if you pay for the higher non scuba rate. If you get discounted sports gear rate for 20kg and you have 15kg equipment, for 10kg personal items you would have to buy another baggage and that starts from 20kg minimum. This is the reason sometimes they check whether you have personal items in your diving bag. I usually buy the standard more expensive rate and pack everything in it and keep it as light as I can.

Looks like only ID has that lower rate for sports equipment and PP only just slightly cheaper - again only if you book at the time of purchasing the original ticket - not later like during web-checkin from home.

Now only if I could summon the courage to trust and believe in the “special handling” I would use my $100 mesh net roller bag which I purchased on a whim and promptly dumped into storage…

Well that is if you pay for the higher non scuba rate. If you get discounted sports gear rate for 20kg and you have 15kg equipment, for 10kg personal items you would have to buy another baggage and that starts from 20kg minimum. This is the reason sometimes they check whether you have personal items in your diving bag. I usually buy the standard more expensive rate and pack everything in it and keep it as light as I can.
There is NO free lunch in commerce.
As I had already said:
1. The difference is about US$10.00.
2. There is a distinct possibility that the staff will want to look at the content of the sport bag.
3. Just pay for the standard rate and forget all about it ie. US$10.00.
4. The scheme only works if one has genuine sporting equipment that needs to be shipped separately.

I would like to know what would happen if the content in the sport bag has been damaged on transit? What would happen if some passengers deliberately packed broken equipment in it and then make a claim for damages against AA!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom