Question Indonesia - Domestic Air Travel - Lion Air Baggage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VsubT

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I are headed to Indonesia soon for a live-aboard trip, and the operator has booked our domestic flights from Bali to/from the boat on Lion Air. We're both very used to traveling outside the US, so small carry-on bags and weight limits are nothing new. With that said, Lion Air seems to have some pretty limiting baggage policies. If I'm reading their site correctly:

Cabin Bags
- max 7 kg total
- 1 normal item: max 20x30x40 cm
- 1 personal item: laptop bags/ women's tote bags/ reading materials/ cameras / baby equipment

Checked Bags
- max 20 kg total included with fare (subtract Cabin Bags from this, so ~13 kg checked free)
- can purchase extra up to 30kg prepaid (max 50 kg total with free allowance)
- per bag weight max is 32 kg / bag
- nothing specified about number of bags
- can pool weight allowances for same reservation

I'm not too worried about checking dive gear aside from our computers. I am wondering how they treat camera gear for cabin baggage though. Does anyone have recent experience bringing cameras, housings, and lights in a carry-on bag (typical EU smaller size)? Curious if the cabin weight & size restriction applies for camera gear, since they list it separately.

I'm sure we can make it work one way or another, but any local advice is appreciated!

Lance

flew lion air from DPS to LBJ before pandemic, so my experience may be outdated

it depends if you have a separate camera bag or are just sticking it in a carryon suitcase/large backpack.

they did not weigh camera/laptop/regulator bags that would fit underneath a seat, but did weigh large backpacks/suitcases for carryon that go in overhead

they also waived my 3kg overage for checked luggage as at the time they gave extra allowance for scuba gear/sports equipment, but I am not sure if that policy still holds

I flew Lion Air (actually Batik which is supposed to be their 'premium' carrier) back in November '22. Cabin baggage was not weighed. They also have a carve-out for "Sports Equipment" that is not charged if it is an extra bag. I went from Jakarta --> LBJ --> Jakarta --> Sorong --> Kaimana --> Sorong --> Jakarta

It's worth a try to your scuba 'stuff' sports equipment, it certainly can't hurt.

Cabin baggage was not weighed.

Sounds like there are some differences with Batik, wish we had that option. We're on the regular Lion Air, so likely more basic. Good info - thanks!

Lance

they did not weigh camera/laptop/regulator bags that would fit underneath a seat, but did weigh large backpacks/suitcases for carryon that go in overhead

Interesting. Sounds like we might be able to use a small carry-on bags with photo gear if they stay under 7 kg each. Thanks!

Lance

Checked Bags
- max 20 kg total included with fare (subtract Cabin Bags from this, so ~13 kg checked free)
No, it's 20kgs free check in luggage ON TOP of the cabin luggage (I've only seen them weighing cabin luggage once for a tourist who had a quite large cabin luggage, long haul carrier style).

AFAIK there is no more a sports equipment allowance (as of August 2023).

20kgs free check in luggage ON TOP of the cabin luggage

Good clarification, and that seems consistent with what @JohnN and @runsongas mentioned above about not weighing carry-ons. Sounds like that would get us max 50 kg checked bags per person if we pre-pay for another 30 kg on top of the 20 kg free. Thanks!

Lance

Batik isnt really Lion's premium brand anymore. All they do is give you some food and call it a day. Oh, and there is a business class which can be a really good deal at times. They used to have entertainment systems, separate gates, and their pricing was different enough that the Lion customer base did not fly Batik. All of this isn't really the case anymore. My guess is Batik still exists as they don't want to change the graphics on the planes. :)

I have never had an issue with my carry-on bag as I make certain it does not draw attention. You can absolutely count on paying for every extra kilogram of your checked bags. I always take this into account when price shopping. Always, prebook your extra weight. They will hit you hard at the airport, and actually paying the charges there can be a nightmare.

We have never had them weigh the carry-ons but if you are on the Wings ATRs they will try to take them at the gate. We know our bags fit in the smaller overheads so we just say "no batteries and camera gear" and they usually let us go. If you think you will go over the 20kg allowed (its 0 for the Wings now) then you can pre purchase extra baggage up to 30kg at a much cheaper rate than at the gate during check-in. Highly recommend doing this if possible, it will save you time and stress.

I flew Lion Air last year on a packed flight from MDC to DPS, which stopped at UPG and although it was the same aircraft heading to DPS we had to disembark and go through security again to reboard, a real PITA.

My backpack with cameras and cabin bag with housing and strobes weigh in at 25Kg combined, nobody had an issue with it.

If your hold baggage is greater than 20Kg it's worth purchasing in advance additional baggage allowance prior to your trip.

Back
Top Bottom