Cayman Air - How strict

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

js1221

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Packing for Cayman Brac and I’ve been able to limit my camera gear to one backpack. The pack dimensions are 11”x7”x18” (36” total). The CA website says carry on size is 14”x10”x14” (38 inches). How strict is Cayman Air with the bag dimensions of the carry on?

Packing for Cayman Brac and I’ve been able to limit my camera gear to one backpack. The pack dimensions are 11”x7”x18” (36” total). The CA website says carry on size is 14”x10”x14” (38 inches). How strict is Cayman Air with the bag dimensions of the carry on?
There is no overhead storage space. It has to fit under the seat in front of you.

There are no overheads in the planes they use GCM - CYB, so if will fit under the seat in front of you it goes there. If it won't they will take it at the door and check it for free.
Otherwise its been my experience they are not overly strict. It may get weighed on check-in though.

It may get weighed on check-in though.
I always thought it was strange that if they are so concerned about weight......that they don't also weigh the people...... and also make the "heavy" people sit forward in the cabin..

Other tips.....
  • At check-in, wear your carry-on backpack with both straps over your shoulders so the actual pack is a little more outa sight....outa mind.
  • Wear big baggy cargo shorts and put heavy shtuff in your pockets while checking in. Once you're past check-in you can re-load into your carry-on.
  • Or.....if you are in a group, don't even have your carry-on with you at check-in. Just give to to someone in your group to 'tend" for you for a few minutes while you check in.
  • Compression straps can help with "re-sizing" soft packs.
  • Carry your regulator / computer in a soft sided well marked CPAP case...

I have never seen them measure the size of a bag going to CYB or LC. I also have never seen them care if people on the LC flights rode with a bag on their lap. Not sure if they are stricter on the Saab flights to CYB where there is actually a flight attendant on board.

It all depends on which agent is checking you in. Some are stricter than others, but for sure, your carry on will be weighed. There is a bag sizing thingie at the check in on GC, which I have seen used.

An unsecured bag on the lap is a bad idea. If there is severe turbulence or a sudden stop on landing it becomes a missile that could hurt you or other passengers.

Some of NW Dive Dawg's suggestions are weasel like or frankly dishonest. The Airlines have rules for a reason.

The Saab and the Otter do not have overheads and the space under the seats is tight. Cayman Express will check your excess carry on, usually at no cost. My camera case is almost the same size as the OPs and I have never, ever been allowed to carry it on the Cayman Express planes. In all the many flights I've taken with them they have never lost or left behind my camera gear or carry on.
If the flight is overloaded, you might not get your suitcase/duffle until the next morning; so I always keep my reg, mask, bathing suit in the carry on. That way, I can still dive in the morning with rental BC, fins and wetsuit if I have to.

Some of NW Dive Dawg's suggestions are weasel like or frankly dishonest. The Airlines have rules for a reason.
Other than basic "security"....the airlines rules are mostly all about revenue. If flight attendants really want me to believe that they are there for my safety, then some of them might want to rethink their shoe selections.

Also, if. "weight" on these fights was really that critical of a safety issue then they would weigh each and every passenger and charge more for a 300lb passenger compared to a 100lb passenger. And they would also place the heavier passengers forward in the cabin. Actually they seem to not have much issue with extra weight as long as they can collect extra $$ for it.

Airlines are a for profit private business that primarily care about their bottom line....and I am fine with that... It's their business.

When it comes to "honesty"...... the airlines have no problem lying to me about why a flight is delayed or canceled. They do what they feel is best for them and their families and I do what's best for me and my family... I would never do anything that I felt compromised safety.

I'm not talking about weight or delays. I'm talking about trying to sneak oversized items onto a tiny airplane. There is no place to stow the stuff safely.

They don't charge you to check carry on at Cayman Express so why try to sneak it onto the plane? Makes no sense.

Cayman Airways does not mainly have a weight problem, so it is a red herring to bitch about it.
What they have is a space problem. They leave bags behind because they have not got space for them....not because they are too heavy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom