Question Do you check-in sports gear or regular?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pearlman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
When travelling with scuba gear, do you check in the baggage as sports gear or regular baggage? And then what’s the deal with sports gear? I see it listed at $30 with a maximum weight limit of 32kgs whereas regular excess baggage is $50 per 5 kg and the default 1st bag at 20kg …

Which airline, which itinerary, what equipment you're checking, and whether you have status with the airline would all be necessary piecesof information to help you get an answer.

I think the rules will differ depending on the airline, location of travel and ticket fare

Some airlines outside the US give generous allowance for dive equipment but not sure about US based airlines.
I recall Fiji Airlines having some sort of special deal for dive gear.

I generally fly Delta, and they do not base baggage fees on the contents. I don't ever recall being asked what are the contents, or having seen any way for me to indicate the contents.

The contents of my bags are a mix of dive gear, clothing and general travel gear. I rarely pack a bag that contains only dive gear.

I recall Fiji Airlines having some sort of special deal for dive gear.

I generally fly Delta, and they do not base baggage fees on the contents. I don't ever recall being asked what are the contents, or having seen any way for me to indicate the contents.

The contents of my bags are a mix of dive gear, clothing and general travel gear. I rarely pack a bag that contains only dive gear.
Delta has special consideration for scuba. Luggage limits are the same, however, they will also allow an empty tank up to 100lbs

Attachments

• EB90757A-CCDE-4A3D-9B88-AABE93A54E7D.jpeg
    EB90757A-CCDE-4A3D-9B88-AABE93A54E7D.jpeg
    65.2 KB · Views: 51
Delta has special consideration for scuba. Luggage limits are the same, however, they will also allow an empty tank up to 100lbs
Okay, I suppose in airline-speak, a tank is "baggage." I interpreted the OP's question more literally as referring to actual bags and their contents (thiough a pony or rebreather bottle could fit in a bag.)

In my experience the "sports equipment" clause allows you to check a minimal amount (exactly 1) of over-sized stuff (think a fancy bicycle in a hard case or a bunch of hockey sticks).

This is not extra stuff. It still needs to fit within your luggage limits. You do not get an extra bag for this crap.

There is no such thing as a free lunch. If there was, my aunt Lucy would check all of her luggage for free as rudby gear.

Knowing this, I reveal nothing about the contents of my checked luggage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom