PADI Altitude Diver Course Material

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rstofer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What course material is available for the Altitude Diver program? I have searched around the usual Internet shops but I haven't found a thing. Diver's Supply has a bunch of PADI material but nothing for the PADI Altitude Diver course.

All I want to do is buy the training material. Later on it might be fun to take the class but I'd like to look it over first.

Thanks
Richard

You only need different tables... I don't know if with the eRDP it is possible to take altitude into account.

Or if you have a diving computer, congrats, you're an altitude diver.

Thanks! Yes, we all have NiTek Duo computers but... I'm a little more interested in the theory than the application. That and I don't want to depend on a bunch of silicon and a programmer.

I suspect that the chapter in Adventures In Diving covers the material but I can't lay my hands on the book at the moment. To complicate the issue further, we intend to use Nitrox. Not for any particular reason but that's what's in the tanks. So, 6300 feet and 36% comes out to what?

I have ordered a couple of texts on the subject and they should be here Monday. I also have the NAUI EAN36 Altitude Dive Tables but they are kind of bogus. There is at least one Internet article on the exact subject of Lake Tahoe and Nitrox.

I am a firm believer in "Recon - Know Before You Go" and while I took the SSI Altitiude Specialty many years ago, the details have been long forgotten.

Richard

PADI does not publish a separate book for the Altitude specialty. The altitude section in the Adventures in Diving book covers the material.

The items you need to plan an altitude dive are the "theoretical depth chart" found in the AOW book and a dive table. The PADI eRDPml can be used for altitude diving by using the "theoretical depth" from the chart as your planned depth on the eRDPml. The eRDPml does not automatically adjust for altitude.

If you use a computer to plan the dives, you need to make sure it is adjusted for altitude. Some do it automatically; others (like my Vyper) require an manual adjustment.

For nitrox, you can also figure your equivalent air depth, convert your EAD to a theoretical depth, and run it on the air table.

You're not diving Tahoe this weekend are you?

You're not diving Tahoe this weekend are you?

No. It'll be a couple of weeks.

I've been there before but long before Nitrox came along. I just want to be as comfortable with the process as I am with tables at sea level.

Richard

It's pretty simple, your computer will do the calculations for you probably. But otherwise for the most part you are modifying your MOD a little bit, oh and watch the crossing back otherwise you'll violate your no fly time.

check the US Navy Dive Manual Revision 6, chapter 9 will give you all the theory and detailed calculations you might what. You can find the USNDM on line the whole book is 20 meg or just dig out the 9th chapter. good luck

Back
Top Bottom