PADI AOW - why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joni

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi!

Just got PADI OW certified in May I'm leaving in 2.5 hours to board the "PADI Wagon" -- a converted greyhound bus my Atlanta dive shop uses to head to Key Largo. Can't wait!

Decided at the last minute to do the AOW course this weekend. But I'm wondering, is this stuff you can learn on your own with experience?

Someone please convince me that this is well worth the $$ -- I'm watching the video now and it all just seems like more PADI propaganda/marketing.

Do divemasters ask to see an AOW card before they'll let you night, wreck or deep dive?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Joni

Some will do just that. If you do not have an advanced card, some will not take you to any wrecks or reefs deeper then 45 feet.

BTW, what is the dive shop in ATL with a "PADI wagon"?

PADI AOW, can you learn it own your own? Well, yea you can but if you have a good instructor, you can get a lot more out of the class. Is it worth the cost for what you get? I have mixed emotions on that, but what it does do is get you to a point to where you can take a Rescue course. The Rescue course is IMHO is the minimum training level that all divers should obtain and well worth the cost. In that respect, the AOW is worth it.
I have know of some dive operators requiring AOW ( and/or deep or wreck) for some of the diving here in NC, which tends to be deep and a long way off shore.

Keep in mind the goal of the course which is to give you additional supervise experience in a veriety of environments and activities. How are your navigation skills? How many deep dives do you have? How do you use a lift bag without getting hurt? How do you use a light to communicate on a night dive? You don't really have to answer as you don't have enough dives to even realize how much there is that you don't know. If the class is taught right, it will show you. For instance, when I teach the nav dive it is almost always a 2 tank dive. Why? because it takes most students that long to navigate a square that is a square without loosing controle of their buoyancy controle and without swimming off and leaving their buddy. How much is it worth to learn these things under the supervision of someone with experience in supervising and teaching these skills? If you had to pay what it is really worth you probably couldn't afford it. My one disclaimer is that if you don't get a good instructor or It's a rip.

Thanks for the quick and complete responses.

Everything you all said was basically what I was thinking, especially the stuff about the nav course. I know I need that one because half the time I can't find my way on dry land!

The scuba shop in Atlanta with the PADI wagon is Sea Ventures in Roswell on Holcomb Bridge Road. I did my OW classwork with them and they were great. I have to say I'm very happy with my LDS. They're pricey - but aren't they all. The Keys trip though is very reasonable - $485 which includes dives, tanks/weights, transport on the PADI wagon, accomodation and one dinner. There's an optional night dive for $57.

I'm hoping to dive the Spiegel Grove for the wreck dive!!

I'm excited!! Just finished packing my gear bag. Whew!

Thanks again,

Joni

Have a great trip!

I took the AOW course with DiveTech on GCM over two days about 18 months ago. Was it worth the cost?? Yes and no!
The instructors on the two days were different as was their approach. One instructor really didn't bother instructing. We did the stuff we were supposed to and that was it. the other spend a great deal of time going over the material, asking questions and was quite thorough in his evaluations of us students.
So, it all comes down to the instructor. I can say that since I took the course, I'm much more confident, I don't worry when I can't find a DM right away because I now take a compass reading even when I'm with a group. Further, based on the good day, I now have a routine I follow to try and minimize mistakes that could later be life-threatening.
Of course, everything that was learned could be learned in the course of continued diving with other good divers- it just may take longer to aquire all the skills.
More recentlt, I took the night dive course in Coz. I'd been on night dives before but I now I worry less because I've done some night navigation, did some finning sans lights and have a better sense of preparation for night dives.
For me, continued education is worth the cost.

Not sure about where you are diving, but you may need it to get aboard some boats (I know they do that up here...VA Beach, Morehead City, NC, etc.). IMHO you can learn it all on your own, but you may need it on short notice someday when you have a wreck dive trip planned...

Besides, don't you have to have PADI AOW to do PADI Nitrox? You definitely want to do Nitrox...

I was thinking of Wreck...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom