PADI depth limits for Jr OW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

then they are morons and you need to take your money to a dive center that isn't run by morons.

There is plenty of idiocy in the industry. Peter Guy couldn't get nitrox when presenting his trimix card. So he asked for trimix but without helium. It didn't work.
He should have asked a 20/1 mix 😂

I did not intend for my post to be a hijack and am sorry you feel that way.

In terms of the health of a young teen-ager I think it is an important factor for a parent to consider. Many times the consideration is whether or not the teen ager is emotionally/psychologically mature enough.

The physiological implications are enormous and could negatively affect the child all of his life and I am not sure all parents of young teens are aware of it.

Obviously, I already knew about the debate. Otherwise I wouldn’t have suggested opening a new topic. It’s just rude. Peace out.

In 2007 my younger son was just certified J.OW Padi.
We went to Cairns, Australia on a LoB, where he was certified J.AOW.
During training, the "deep" dive was around 25m.
After getting the J. AOW he was allowed to take part to the deepest dive of the 11 planned, which was 30m.
After coming back to Italy he did dive routinely to 30m and was considered an "advanced" diver everywhere.
But when this happened, he had already more than 100 dives, despite he was just 12. He started diving at 5...
So my suggestion (following @tursiops ) for your son is to take the AOW first. Then he can continue with other specialties, "deep" being one of them, when ready.
But in most places, they will be happy with an "advanced" certification.

I think it just comes down to the specific dive op. My son was certified at 13 and some PADI dive ops had basically no limitation (within rec limits) while others would limit depth AND also require a private DM. I found it best to read the rules on their websites (if posted) and then be very specific in email communications with the dive op to see what they would require/permit. If they had what I considered unreasonable requirements, we chose another dive op instead.

Sorry that I tried to help...
I agree with @tursiops. I too am sorry I tried to help.
Had it been obvious to me that you knew about bone growth plates I would not have said anything.
:banghead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom