PADI Divemaster with 2 schools

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

exposure

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hi All,

I’d like to try the Divemaster level but I have a few questions. A school near my home suggest me to start with them then to finalyse the courses by a few dives in the sea with another school. Is it really possible to do that ? The part with the first school will be the theory and swimming pool exercices.

I have another question concerning the program. Are all the program in the book or some other books are needed ?

A last question about the number of dive. The 60 are needed to be certified or to start ?

Thanks in advance
Yvan ..

Yvan, I can't speak to the classes but the prereqs are:

(PADI) To take this course, you must be:

18 years old
A PADI Advanced Open Water Diver (or qualifying certification from another training organization)
A PADI Rescue Diver (or qualifying certification from another training organization)
An Emergency First Response Primary and Secondary Care (or qualifying first aid and CPR training from another organization) course completion within the past 24 months.
Have at least 20 dives to begin the course and 60 for certification
Be fit for diving and submit a Medical Statement (PDF) signed by a physician within the last 12 months.

Yvan,

Referrals allow divemaster candidates who complete part of the course requirements with one PADI Instructor to finish the requirements with another PADI Instructor.

The referral should be done using the Divemaster Candidate Informaion and Evaluation form. IDEALLY COPIES SHOULD BE MADE OF ALL YOUR RECORDS BY THE REFERRING INSTRUCTOR for you and the receiving instructor.

It is also highly recommended that the referring instructor contact the receiving instructor by 'phone to discuss your progress.

The referral EXPIRES after 12 months. The Instructor who COMPLETES your training will be the CERTIFYING INSTRUCTOR.

Make sure you have the financial issues squared away with both instructors BEFORE you start (How much will each one charge you?)

Thank you very much for both of you. It is really interesting. I was just affraid to have a referal document which nobody want to use it and to pay twice. So I will check with the final divemaster for that. The aim of that process for me is to start from my home where the sea is far and to don't spent to much time to study in a class when I am near the sea :)

Another question was about the books to study. I have started to read the PADI book and all the previous one (OW, AOW and Rescue) but I think some other must be reviewed. Any idea ?

Yvan

There is a divemaster crew pack you will need to acquire. It will include a DM manual (similar to your earlier books), a copy of the encyclopedia of recreational diving, a workbook to help you study the encyclopedia, and various other things.

I recommend reading the DM manual and then going through each section of the workbook. Each section of the workbook will tell you which section of the encyclopedia it covers. Read that section and do the section of the workbook.

Having just completed the course, I would say this sequence worked best for me.

Good post by dhuskins and glad to help Yvan... I would just add that it is recommended to get your hands on a copy of the Instructor Manual (either on paper o CD). This will get you in a mind set of "PADI Standards", what you can and cannot do as a DM, an AI and later on as an OWSI.

Thanks to all of you. I will acquire these books in order to have a global overview before starting the courses. Thanks again, it is really valuable for me.

Yvan

Good post by dhuskins and glad to help Yvan... I would just add that it is recommended to get your hands on a copy of the Instructor Manual (either on paper o CD). This will get you in a mind set of "PADI Standards", what you can and cannot do as a DM, an AI and later on as an OWSI.

Agreed. The Instructor's Manual is needed for some of the DM tests. It is good to be familiar with the layout. Depending on when you plan to complete the DM, IDC, IE, you may want to simply borrow the shop's copy as I hear there are some changes soon.

If you want to know what you can and cannot do as a DM, here is a link to the PADI chart.

I believe that PADI just changed the standard to where the DMCs need an instructor manual.

I just finished my DM (about a week ago) and it was not required to own. It was needed on one of the knowledge tests and we were able to use the shop's copy. Actually, the relevant portion of the Instructor's Manual is set to PDFs and included in the DM crew pack. But since I didn't have my laptop in class, it wasn't useful at the time of the test.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom