PADI Open Water courses near Singapore

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caralynch

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,

I am looking for a PADI Open Water course near Singapore. The courses I have found that take place in Singapore and then an island destination for a weekend are pretty expensive. I'm quite happy to go somewhere nearby for a few days and get it over and done with - does anyone know of anywhere in Bintan? Or nearby?

Thanks for your help.

Hi Caralynch! Are you located in Singapore or Malaysia? The local season has already closed, so one option would be to do your theory and pool session here in Singapore, and then go to another dive resort of your choice to do your open water dives with the local dive operator. It's called a "referral". Some operators in Singapore would offer you the option of doing your Open Water in the waters off Singapore, but the viz is often poor and not many Open Water students enjoy it.

Hi - I have a similar question. I'm based in Singapore and would like to do my Adv Open Water certification. I'd like to do it in nearby Malaysia and it looks like most of the dive shops in Singapore do a standard weekend trip from Friday evening through Sunday evening to Tioman, Bintan, or Dayang (although I read that all Dayang trips are suspended due to a new fee?). The itinerary seems pretty grueling and they all cost SGD $600+. Because I'm budget conscious, liveaboard isn't an option for me. Here are my questions:

1. Is it worth (money and time) signing up for one of these weekend trips with a Singapore dive shop OR should I make my own way to Malaysia and do the course with a local dive shop?

2. And for either option, Singapore or Malaysia, does anyone have recommendations for which dive shop/operator to go with?

3. Which dive spot is better from Tioman, Dayang, and Bintan? Or are there other recommended spots in Malaysia close to Singapore?

Thank you in advance!!!

I know the owner of Living Seas in Singapore. His name is Gideon Liew and he's a top notch guy. Give those guys a shout.

I know the owner of Living Seas in Singapore. His name is Gideon Liew and he's a top notch guy. Give those guys a shout.
I will be very surprised if he teaches PADI OW course!

1. Is it worth (money and time) signing up for one of these weekend trips with a Singapore dive shop OR should I make my own way to Malaysia and do the course with a local dive shop?

It depends on whether you have more time to spare for a longer trip. Travelling by yourself means you have to coordinate the bus trip and the boat trip to the Malaysian islands. If you take a bus leaving to and from Mersing (closest to Tioman), then you would have to spend a few hours waiting for either the ferry or the bus. You have to know where to alight on Tioman.

The dive shops usually get the ferry times and their private bus charter services lined up so that there is not too much waiting time needed. Less waiting time means more rest time and more diving time.

Since you need 5 dives to complete your AOW, you should check if you have enough time to do so. If you can dive on weekdays instead of the weekends, there would be less divers in the water.

2. And for either option, Singapore or Malaysia, does anyone have recommendations for which dive shop/operator to go with?

I went with Eko Divers. They are part of a larger group of dive schools bought over by Gill Divers -- as far as I know, Amazing Dive and Deep Blue Scuba are also part of it. These dive shops/schools pool their students, instructors and divemasters together and set off for Tioman weekly in a group of 60-80 students. That's how they keep costs low.

A class might have 5-7 students, 1 instructor and 1 divemaster/assistant instructor.

3. Which dive spot is better from Tioman, Dayang, and Bintan? Or are there other recommended spots in Malaysia close to Singapore?

I have not been to Bintan.

AFAIK, from March to October/November, Tioman is THE destination of choice for OW, AOW and Rescue diver student training. Then the monsoon season sets in, and then the training grounds become Batam, Bintan and Pulau Hantu in Singapore.

There is definitely a lot of things to see in Tioman. I hear Batam and Bintan suffer from poor visibility. Pulau Hantu has quite poor visibility.

Price-wise, the recreational use of the waters around islands of Dayang and Aur are taxed by the Sultan of Johor, so they are more expensive. I hear it is about 150 ringgit per day. But with less divers going there, I think the marine life might be richer.

Hi,

I am looking for a PADI Open Water course near Singapore. The courses I have found that take place in Singapore and then an island destination for a weekend are pretty expensive. I'm quite happy to go somewhere nearby for a few days and get it over and done with - does anyone know of anywhere in Bintan? Or nearby?

Thanks for your help.

Sorry if this sounds preachy but "get it over and done with" is not a good attitude to approach diving with.
There are lots of dive centres in SG who will help you "get it over and done with". They are, however, not the ones I would personally go to.
The reason they can do it cheaply, is because they will use PADI's ridiculous instructor to student ratio of 8:1 to the max, and that is how accidents happen.
The good DCs will take at most 3-4 students per instructor in an OW class.

Good visibility is important for someone new to diving. The waters in Singapore or even Bintan are not suitable for a new diver. They can range from 1/2m on a bad day to 5m on a good one. Currents can also be very strong near the Southern Islands in SG on certain days of the month.

I would also point you to Living Seas. Not cheap by any means, but well worth the money you will be spending with them.

I have found that trying to save money in diving courses is an effort in futility as well as false economy.

All the best in your decision.

Npallasi - Thank you for the thorough explanation, very helpful! I think I'm going to find a time when I have more than just a weekend and do it in an enjoyable fashion at one of the Malaysia spots.

Hi all - Now that I've decided on doing the Advanced Open Water over a longer time period (3-4 days) than just a weekend, I've narrowed it down to two locations (based on affordability and efficiency of getting there from Singapore) and need to decide between them:

1. Tioman - Appreciate all the input above about this spot. I researched it some more and I'm torn. One one hand, Tioman is called "paradise" and one of the best spots to dive while on the other, it sounds like it will be crowded in June and the recent tragic accidents are very concerning particularly as an amateur diver. Would going during the week alleviate the crowding concerns?

2. Perhentian Islands - This seems like a nice place to dive, less traveled than Tioman, but still accessible from Singapore. How does it compare to Tioman and is it worth making this longer trip from Singapore? Is June in season for Perhentian? Any dive shop recommendations?

Thanks for your help!
Nina

Back
Top Bottom