padi or naui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMHO, it is less the agency than the skills you learn.

Most programs offer a basic coverage of the essential skills, and instructors may add to the course (but don't count on it).

I would encourage you to ask any potential instructor if the training course includes instruction on the use of dive tables. As I recall, SDI does not require this for their open water certification.

"it is less the agency than the skills you learn"

There are big differences in required skills from one agency to another.

DSSW,

WWW™

Originally posted by Walter
"it is less the agency than the skills you learn"

There are big differences in required skills from one agency to another.

DSSW,

WWW™

Depending on who you listen to, the standards are consistent with real world diving needs; or have a number of confidence builders built in. I've taught both ways and see no difference in the skills of the divers I have certified.

The big key is the instructor and how effective he/she is in getting across the knowledge to you and how their schedule fits yours.

Know also in the links Walter sent you that PADI has recently changed some skills standards and has updated both their text and video. Overall, they have the best text and support material right now. But again, no text is worth its salt unless the instructor is even better than the text.

In my immediate area I have available SSI, PADI, & NAUI. tHE PADI instructur I talked to was (in the nicest descreption I can give him) anal-retentive. He lied to me about the NAUI instructor that I had taken lessons from to try to talk me into taking his class so I would know how to be "safe" becaue he said there's no way I learned that from my instructor. The SSI instructor that I talked to seemed nice but ther classes were in my opinion overkill. And they tried to sell me things I didn't need and nickel and dime me to death. I liked my NAUI instructor very very well. The advice he gave me about equipment has not been wrong. I love everything that I have bought with him, and I feel like he's been totally honest with me. He had plenty of knowledgable people around for all my lessons and I felt quite safe. This is just my experience in my area of the country. It may not be that way everywhere.

hphobbie@aol.com,

What skills were changed and when? Unless they've slipped some changes in without telling me (something PADI said they would not do) the comparison is up to date.

"Depending on who you listen to, the standards are consistent with real world diving needs"

What is needed in the real world is a matter of opinion. IMHO, most divers are poorly trained and are not ready for the real world when they finish their class.

We agree that other factors are much more important than which agency is on the card. OTOH, many of those factors are greatly influenced by the agency.

DSSW,

WWW™

Well I just got NAUI certified and it was great. But I give all the credit to the instructor. Fortunately I took the class through the school rec center, so I don't think churning out students to make a quick buck was a priority. We covered everything 10 times more often than most classes. Was it overkill? No way. I feel like I got the best deal in town for the amount of instruction, pool and ocean time we got. We were surrounded by experienced and pleasant volunteer assistant instructors. And the primary instructor was awesome. By the end of the course we could do all the drills like second nature. I don't regret the time it took.

I would highly reccomend checking out the local universities in your area to see if they have anything comparable.

As far as NAUI or PADI, I'm told NAUI give instructors more flexibility to tailor the class to what they think is more important for diving in that area (we did a lot of surf work :) ). Whereas with PADI you will get more of cookie cutter (albeit reliable) class. I don't know if that's true or not, but something to consider. By far the most important thing is the instructor from what I have seen.

ucladiver.

Welcome to the board. You are asking the right questions at the right time. As most folks have suggested, "The Instructor is paramount".

The "which agency" debate is perpetual. Walter gave you excellent advice. View your training as a "learners permit".

You are dealing with an industry that is self-regulating. Some instructors are closet equipment sales persons. The bottom line is buyer beware and price shouldn't be a big discriminator. Go for best quality. Spend the time checking it out.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

I am certed by both agencies but teach PADI.

I found the original NAUI training great. Very intensive and did an advanced NAUI in 1982. I rate I as being the equivalent of PADI Divemaster as far as education. Don't Know if it has changed.

Look for a good instructor . One that has a "day job" and not on commission for sales and will just push you through the course.

Ron

Cokeman,
Well, you've opened the eternal can of worms! As you can see, some prefer one agency over another, and to others it makes little difference. You've already been given great advice. Whatever agency you use, make sure you find a competent instructor and you feel comfortable with that person. Second, apply yourself 100%. If you don't, you're cheating yourself, and maybe a buddy some day. You won't get anything out of the course if you don't apply yourself completely. Congratulations on your decision to become a diver! Keep us informed as to how you're doing. Dive safely.:tree:Bob

and lots of them :wazzup: especially from anyone u know who was certified from either association and with the local instructors.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom