Pain after pool dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Togalive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So last weekend I finished up my pool dives for my OW certification, and everything went absolutely perfect, up until about 20 minutes from the end of the exercises. It was at this point that I began to feel some serious pain over my right eye, and in my right eye as well, my left eye and everywhere else was completely unaffected. The area was definitely very sensitive to the pressure from my mask, so I began to exhale periodically through my nose to relieve the pressure on the area. As far as equalization goes, we were only in 6ft of water, and I only ever felt the need to equalize if my head was within the bottom foot of the pool. I have been fighting a sinuse infection, and im on Amoxicillin for it at the moment, prior to the dive I also was on Zyrtec and Sudafed. By the time we finished the Amox. had worn off, but I didnt take notice of it during the lesson, so I suspect that had something to do with it. However I never felt any aching leading up the the initial pain, it was very sudden in its onset.

So, now 3 days later, the pain has lessened from where it was before (I couldnt sleep that night it hurt bad enough whenever I tried to close my eyes), but I still have an aching above my right eye, and at times, some specific points that hurt quite a bit within that area.

Is this from a reverse squeeze from some trapped air in my sinuses? (I didnt think I could even get one as serious as this in 6ft of water) If so, or even if not, do any of you medical guys have any suggestions on treating it? I have since bumped my sinuse medication up to Omnicef in hopes of knocking this thing out (no congestion when on medication btw), but I have 4 certification open water dives this weekend, and I really am hoping this pain im feeling wont become a huge issue.

Thankyou

P.S: I just wanted to make it clear that I did not have a "headache" after my pool dives. It was a very localized pain, and still is. However by about 10pm that night, I did have some pretty noticeable redness both above my right eye, and below it (I could actually see the outline of the sinuses below my eye, not above though that area was still sensitive to touch). I had no redness in the eye itself. And again, this came on within 10 minutes, and after having been in the water for 4 hours leading up to it.

Last edited:
If you have sinus issues (temporary due to sickness) that requires Zyrtec/Sudafed then you shouldn't really be diving until it's cleared up..

You can get a reverse squeeze in that depth of water which could have been exacerbated by your current illness/medications.

Personally I would pause your training till it clears and get stuck back in. Why risk the added complications which, since you're worrying about them, will take your mind off the job at hand.

While any issue can be a possible seriuos one, My g/f will occasionally get this same pain, as well as an occasional headache. She has been checked out and everythign is good. we gather it could be to a few differnt things. Not breathing correctly, as fast breathing will will build up more co2 which can result in this, or dehydration. or even just didn't equalize properlly or mask might have been to tight.

Just out of curiosity, did your instructor know you were sick and on medication? Did you have the ok from a dr to be in the water?

I would not let a student with a sinus infection who was still currently on medication even get close to the pool. It can cause serious damage (and pain, as you know) even in the shallow end. I would have explained that if you just wait a few days till the cold is gone you'll be fine; if you dive and exacerbate the sinus probs it could be weeks till you can dive again!

Not diving with a cold is covered in the ow manual, and the manual. Also, there is a question on the medical release that if youre on prescription meds you need a note from a dr...

be careful, and take your time before you get in the water again!

happy diving

The effects from my reverse block 2 years ago only lasted 3 WEEKS! If your instructor knew of this condition he/she had no business allowing you in the pool. IF the antibiotics and ANY residual effects from this are not COMPLETELY gone by the time your checkouts come up stay out of the friggin water! You're risking serious and perhaps permanent injury for what? A piece of plastic that lets you dive on your own? Seeing some fish? Not worth it. As a result of my experience I no longer dive on meds if I see anything other than an occaisional allergy flare up. Even then I may call the dive if it's bad enough that it causes real congestion. The pain, numbness, tingling, lost sleep, and fear were valuable lessons. If you choose to listen to those who think it's no big deal. Get their phone number and address. That's where you should send your medical bills.

And amoxicillin does not "wear off" it keeps working for up to a week or more after you take the last one. That is because the infection can last that long. At what point in your classroom work was diving and colds covered? Should have been in several places.

Did you equalize your mask? Even though you were only in 6 ft. of water, everyone is different in equalization depths. If you had no sinus medical issue, it could have been a mask squeeze. If you had been on a real dive in deeper water, it could have been much worse - blood in the eyes and major bruising around the eyes. Be sure when you equalize to also put air into your mask afterwards.

I appreciate all the well-thought replies, and I'm considering trying to find a way to delay my OW cert dives. I made it pretty clear to my father (were doing out cert. together) that I did not want to dive on medication, but once he spoke to our instructor, and one of our local doctors' assistants who's husband dives, he was told that diving on medication was "fine" and that "if people didnt dive on medication, most people wouldnt be able to dive." so I guess that lulled me into a false sense of security once the doctor prescribed for me to take Zyrtec each dive day, and Sudafed a few times daily on those days. I will be sure to pay very close attention to where I am medically before this weekend, hopefully everything clears up now that Im on Omnicef instead of Amox.

So in short, the instructor knew I was sick (not coughing, not a cold, just sinus), but he made a point of making sure I wasnt congested the night before, and during our dives. I had an ok from the doctor to be diving provided I was on the Sudafed and Zyrtec prior to the dive.

As far as regarding the Amox. wearing off, I am on my second "10 day" prescription, taking it 3 times daily. There is a noticeable difference between 20 minutes after I take it, and 4 hours later when congestion starts to settle in again, so that is the "wearing off" I was referring to, and it is that reason that I am moving to an Omnicef regiment now.

I guess overall I was surprised at just how much could happen in 6ft of water, in a pool, but I have made it clear now to my father that I will not be doing my certification dives this weekend unless I have ZERO congestion and all the pain above my eye has gone away. I still trust my instructor, and I think that my having been on medication when he "checked" me for being congested could have lulled him into a false sense of security (he knew I was on meds for it) about the situation just as my father telling me it was ok, if not the norm, did. Either way, I blame no one but myself, but you can bet I wont be making the same mistake again. Thanks again for all the help, I'll keep you posted on how things progress involving my OW cert dives.

I guess my only remaining questions are these. Come this weekend, if I do not have any congestion (while off meds), and if there is no pain above my eye, do you think it would be safe for me to go in the water? Also, just for the technical sake of the matter, what would I classify this as? A reverse squeeze in my sinus cavity?

EDIT:
@ Sansky:
I did equalize my mask and ears whenever I felt a squeeze, and it was relieved each time, so that was part of what caught me off guard with this pain. I also made a point to exhale gently through my nose periodically after I felt the pain to help relieve the pressure of my mask on that part of my face, which provided temporary relief.

Last edited:
i am appalled that a dr would reccommend that you actually take these kind of medications while diving- it is absolutely insane!

when you have a cold and take medication it allows all the passages in your body to open up which allows air to flow freely from your lungs to your sinuses and ear airspaces. when that medication wears off, the eustacian tubes can fill back up with fluids. If this happens while you are underwater, you now have compressed air trapped in your sinuses and ears which will expand as you ascend. if those tubes are badly congested, that air has no where to go and can end up blowing out you ear drum. In extreme cases this drum damage can end your diving career, FOREVER!!!

please dont let your dad and instructor pressure you into diving while sick- you are on an array of medications and are (it seems) suffering from serious sinus problems... I hope you make the informed decison to postpone your diving, and that you dad steps up to support you in this decision.

If you do decide to dive I hope it works out well for you- but remember just cause it does this time doesnt mean it will next time... be careful!!!!!

That doc is a quack and an ass. Have your dad and instructor read this thread. And just how did the instructor make sure you were not congested- x-ray, MRI, Cat scan? And this "one of our local doctors' assistants who's husband dives". Is that like "my cousin who read a book on surgery said it's ok for uncle bubba's friend at work to take out his own appendix". Sure seems like it. You are surrounded by fools. I would be afraid, very afraid.

That doc is a quack and an ass. Have your dad and instructor read this thread. And just how did the instructor make sure you were not congested- x-ray, MRI, Cat scan? And this "one of our local doctors' assistants who's husband dives". Is that like "my cousin who read a book on surgery said it's ok for uncle bubba's friend at work to take out his own appendix". Sure seems like it. You are surrounded by fools. I would be afraid, very afraid.

Mainly he listened to me breathing, and said that I didnt sound congested, which in his defense, I didnt. But looking back it probably was not the most scientific of approaches to the subject. As far the doctors assistant, she is a licensed Physicians Assistant, so one step down from an M.D, but I understand your point.

@annieols

I will make a point of making as informed a decision as possible come friday, and thanks to everyone who replied with such great information, that process has been made considerably easier, and the possible repercussions of my decisions much clearer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom