Painting steel tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

not exactly addressing your question, but if weight is the problem why not try an aluminum tank instead? An AL80 is considerably lighter than the other options you've been offered and you can easily get them in colors :)

Of course if the length of the tank is your concern then a small steel HP is the way to go.

not exactly addressing your question, but if weight is the problem why not try an aluminum tank instead? An AL80 is considerably lighter than the other options you've been offered and you can easily get them in colors :)

Of course if the length of the tank is your concern then a small steel HP is the way to go.

HUH?:confused: Not even close, An AL80 weighs about 31.5 lb. A steel HP80 weighs about 28 lb. Plus with the over seven pound difference in buoyancy needed to be added to your weight belt, the AL80 is a worse solution by about 11 pounds.

has anyone considered that if a vip inspector thinks that a tank has been repainted, they do not have to pass the yearly inspection?

if you want to repaint a tank, you need to contact the manufactor and find out how to remove the old paint and apply new paint to the tank. you can void the warenty if you do not do this.

i will tell you one trick i know to tell if a tank has been repainted, and that is to look at a second hydro date. if there is not a little bit of different color on the new date, it might of been repainted, but not all hydro testers do this on a painted tank. or the paint could be removed from the stamping of the new date. just somrthing for you to consider.

as for the original question that was asked, do some looking around and compare the weight of the tank, full and empty, and what its buoyancy is when it is empty. this will help you in your decision making. for the carbon fiber tanks, or a hood wraped tank, they are only good for about 10 to 20 years, and are put out of service after that. if it is dinged or scratched to bad you are looking a an expense to have it repaired to still be used. steel or alm is still the most cost effective way to go. at least if it is condemed, you can scrap it and get some money back from it

HUH?:confused: Not even close, An AL80 weighs about 31.5 lb. A steel HP80 weighs about 28 lb. Plus with the over seven pound difference in buoyancy needed to be added to your weight belt, the AL80 is a worse solution by about 11 pounds.

You are absolutely right! I don't know what I was thinking (probably the buoyancy rather than the actual weight out of the water??). Thank you for the correction.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom