Palau aggressor and what else?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverken374

Contributor
Reaction score
2.5 hrs north of Toronto, Ont., Canada/Cozumel
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am looking at spending the month of Feb. 2011 diving in Micronesia. My plan at present is to do two weeks on the Palau Aggressor Feb 6th to 20th. I would like to do one week of land based diving the week prior to the Aggressor. So far the choices are Yap at Manta Bay hotel or Truk Lagoon with Truk Stop. My concern is that Yap may be more of the same as Palau. Truk seems to offer a contrast with the wrecks however seems to be quite a bit more in flight and diving.....or anything else within a short trip from Guam? My experience tells me it is best to take the last week to return home and recover from the travel and the whole experience before returning to the real world. This is my "dream trip" so want to do it right and yes I do know that dream trips can be repeated.

I haven't been to Yap, but Truk is fabulous, even if you're not a hard-core wreck guy, and it offers a great contrast to Palau. I did Truk on the Aggressor, which is no longer an option. There is another liveaboard there that gets good reviews, but it is probably easily done from land as well. It's not a picture postcard sort of place, however, so the land-based options were not that appealing to me.

Earlier this year we did a week on the Palau Aggressor, and followed it with a week at the Manta Ray Bay Hotel. As great as the diving was on the Aggressor, oddly, we wished we'd spent both weeks on Yap!

The Manta Ray Bay Hotel is superb. There's no other way to describe it. Our flight arrived in the middle of the night, and the hotel manager was there to greet us by name. Wow. We had our room number before our bus left the airport - check in was "here's your key"...and it just got better. The rooms were clean, in fantastic condition, impeccably maintained and air conditioned. As good as the hotel is run, the dive operation is even better. Clean, in fantastic condition (just ask to see the compressor room!) superbly organized. And, they let you dive "your way", and made the boat schedule fit what we wanted. Everywhere you look, it's quality.

The building and grounds are impeccable. The bar is on the top deck of an old sailing ship, in the breeze and above the bugs.

It would not be an understatement to say that the Manta Ray Bay Hotel is the best shore op we've ever seen - and we go to 2 or 3 a year.

Yes, the wrecks of Truk are spectacular, and are deteriorating, so you should see them now while you can. However, given the worn feel of the shore operations (almost borderline adventure diving in some cases), I would not return unless I was on board the Odyssey liveaboard. Much can be inferred from the 1 year waitlist to get on that boat, as opposed to the wide-open shore availability.

Go to Yap. Taken as a whole, it is an amazing diving experience. Go to Truk after a considered preparation, both in the liveaboard, and, in classes such as deco, that will give you better access to the wrecks so you can really appreciate them.

All the best, James

PS-given the airline scheduling, I would do Yap after Palau. Otherwise you'll have some very late nights for your flights.

I'll be on the Aggressor with you from the 13th - 20th, then I'm doing a week with Sam's tours for my land based time after that. Looking forward to seeing you.

I have not booked it yet but hopefully will be there too. Need to work out side trips and flights. Look forward to seeing anyone doing the Aggressor on these dates. May post a new thread to see who is going on the Aggressor during this time. I am very impressed as to how may of the worldwide dive community is involved with Scubaboard

the diving (or anything else) in Yap was not anything like Palau. With a week In Yap I would suggest you make sure you will be able to do a bunch of dives other than the Manta dives, Unless it's changed MRB seems to just do the manta dives a lot but there is other great diving there.

I just booked onto the Palau Aggressor for March 2011 one week because I didn't want to spend big bucks for two weeks on only one liveaboard (that's all that was left for March and April, the best months to dive). They had a whole boat cancel recently for the week of March 20-26, 2011.
I am also looking to dive with Sam's one week before, and trying to work out flights to dive in Truk with Blue Lagoon divers after the liveaboard. I could only find flights to Truk via Guam ($712 USD), not via Palau, unless someone other than Continental is going there.

Last edited:
Slighly off topic. Just as a head's up given that you mentioned cancellations, I was booked on the Palau Aggressor in September, but they notified me a month out that they were putting me on the Tropic Dancer since both the Aggressor and the Dancer were lightly booked. I was apprehensive at first since I had been on the Palau Aggressor a couple of times before and wanted to go on it again. Turns out there was nothing to worry about. The Palau Aggressor and the Tropic Dancer are sister ships, identical except that the Dancer just went through a refit so the furnishings are slightly newer. I had actually been with the captain and a couple of the crew members on the Aggressor the year before. Diving was a blast, service was excellent. While I am sure the owners are trying to differentiate between the Aggressor and Dancer brands--in this case there really wasn't much of a difference. Essentially the same boat, same great service and diving.

Felt like I should mention it on the board so that if it happens to someone else they will know that there is nothing to worry about.

I have done Pohnpei and Truk and then Truk and Palau. First, as you have found flying around Micronesia is not cheap. However, it is one of the best bangs for the buck when it comes to using frequent flyer miles. We used 25k miles to fly from Guam to Truk then to Palau and finally back to Guam.

Some options - Sam's Tours runs a great operation. I have also read good reviews about Neco and Fish and Fins. For me though staying in Koror for three days was enough. The 45 minute boat rides each day through the Rock Islands are nice but would get old. We spent our time sailing and diving on the Eclipse. If I went back to Palau I would probably stay on Peleliu and dive out of there as it is much more tranquil which fits our style of travel.

As for Truk. The Odyssey is the boat. That said Blue Lagoon is a fine operation given where they are in the world. Truk Stop is also a good op. Though their location is not for some as it is in town. The Blue Lagoon is on some very nice grounds but away from town.

I'll be on the Aggressor with you from the 13th - 20th, then I'm doing a week with Sam's tours for my land based time after that. Looking forward to seeing you.

Well it looks as if I have my trip worked out. Manta Bay Ray Resort for a week and then meet up with the Aggressor Feb. 6th to the 20th. See you on the boat!
Ken

Back
Top Bottom