Palau Siren Cabin Recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CZS

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Anyone who’s been on the Palau Siren able to offer any recommendations on which cabin(s) tend to be the quietest? Roomiest?

Be careful, the Siren fleet has had quite a few sinkings/disasters in recent years.

<<Be careful, the Siren fleet has had quite a few sinkings/disasters in recent years.>> Yes, my first thought when seeing the OPs question was "was that the boat that sank?"

Be careful, the Siren fleet has had quite a few sinkings/disasters in recent years.

Wow, I wasn't aware of their past issues until you mentioned it. Certainly makes me rethink our decision to book with Siren. It does look like it's been several years now since they've had an issue and the reviews from recent guests seem to be overwhelmingly positive. Not sure I really have any recourse at this point (unless I want to forfeit the deposit of course), so I'll likely just try to be "on my toes" a little more than normal. Thanks for the heads up!

Wow, I wasn't aware of their past issues until you mentioned it. Certainly makes me rethink our decision to book with Siren. It does look like it's been several years now since they've had an issue and the reviews from recent guests seem to be overwhelmingly positive. Not sure I really have any recourse at this point (unless I want to forfeit the deposit of course), so I'll likely just try to be "on my toes" a little more than normal. Thanks for the heads up!

...well, hopefully their worst boats have already sunk, and you'll be lucky. I find undercurrent.org to be an invaluable resource for future trip research, might want to get a subscription, I have for many year now, well worth the $!

If you are committed with a deposit then next step is to be sensitive to safety when going aboard and being aboard. Create a "one small bag to grab" that has everything in it (passport, wallet, phone at least), that you keep in a specific place in your cabin and you know where it is in the dark. Next would be keep a couple of small flashlights within reach in the cabin when sleeping. Where are any life preservers in the room. Memorize your way out of the cabin to the deck. Note how the deck is set up so again you can find your way/recognize your position in the dark. Engage with the crew so they know you and will remember you. These are all things we should do on any boat we go on anyway but it's of particular importance here.

If you are committed with a deposit then next step is to be sensitive to safety when going aboard and being aboard. Create a "one small bag to grab" that has everything in it (passport, wallet, phone at least), that you keep in a specific place in your cabin and you know where it is in the dark. Next would be keep a couple of small flashlights within reach in the cabin when sleeping. Where are any life preservers in the room. Memorize your way out of the cabin to the deck. Note how the deck is set up so again you can find your way/recognize your position in the dark. Engage with the crew so they know you and will remember you. These are all things we should do on any boat we go on anyway but it's of particular importance here.

Thank you for the excellent advice. This is, more or less, what I plan on doing given the circumstances. As you mentioned, we probably ought to be doing these things anyway but I'll be exceptionally mindful of my surroundings this time around. Hopefully I'll have a great update for you post trip!

Best cabins on any siren boat are 5 and 6. They can be dbl or twin bed and are the roomiest, plus midships so most stable and away from anchor chain and engine room. Cabin 5 can get a bit of "squeaking" noise due to the dive platform and tenders usually being tied up on the starboard side

Cabin 1 and 2 are prob the smallest as they are in the bow area, dbl bed only. Bathrooms are slightly sloped.
3 and 4 are spacious twins and best option for twin share.
7 and 8 are spacious twins but nearer the engine room, bathrooms used to get pretty hot due to tiling but I think they maybe fixed that now.

You get a safety briefing and drill on boarding, Passports are collected by the cruise directors and stored in a dry bag, but it is worthwhile having your own for other items, I always have one for going for any trip. Life jackets are stored in the cupboard in your cabin and cabins have emergency lights which can be detached from the wall to take with you

Ive been on Palau, Indo, Philippine, Fiji, Maldives and Mandarin Sirens. Sadly only Palau, Indo and Philippines remain. there is a great deal of negative press (understandably) about the fleet but having worked for the company I do know that every effort is made to ensure guest safety and satisfaction.

My husband was just on indo siren for a month and I have several good friends and dive buddies who still travel with them regularly, without incident. Hope your trip is fabulous and look forward to reading your report

Best cabins on any siren boat are 5 and 6. They can be dbl or twin bed and are the roomiest, plus midships so most stable and away from anchor chain and engine room. Cabin 5 can get a bit of "squeaking" noise due to the dive platform and tenders usually being tied up on the starboard side

Cabin 1 and 2 are prob the smallest as they are in the bow area, dbl bed only. Bathrooms are slightly sloped.
3 and 4 are spacious twins and best option for twin share.
7 and 8 are spacious twins but nearer the engine room, bathrooms used to get pretty hot due to tiling but I think they maybe fixed that now.

You get a safety briefing and drill on boarding, Passports are collected by the cruise directors and stored in a dry bag, but it is worthwhile having your own for other items, I always have one for going for any trip. Life jackets are stored in the cupboard in your cabin and cabins have emergency lights which can be detached from the wall to take with you

Ive been on Palau, Indo, Philippine, Fiji, Maldives and Mandarin Sirens. Sadly only Palau, Indo and Philippines remain. there is a great deal of negative press (understandably) about the fleet but having worked for the company I do know that every effort is made to ensure guest safety and satisfaction.

My husband was just on indo siren for a month and I have several good friends and dive buddies who still travel with them regularly, without incident. Hope your trip is fabulous and look forward to reading your report

This is exactly the info I was after, thank you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom