Palau Trip Report 2-20 to 3-10 2011

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Travelnsj

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This year I took the long way around. I flew ANA from LAX to Tokyo spent the night then on to Guam and Palau. I have flown Continental for years starting in 2000 when they were flying the 777’s from LA to Guam. Then it was the 767’s then the 757’s to Hawaii and then 737’s. Although it was a bit longer going through Tokyo ANA is a great Airline to fly. Coming back I flew United to LA…and I missed the earthquake by a day!

Again this year I stayed at the West Plaza Malakal which is a basic hotel nothing fancy but it works and the Staff is wonderful. I met up a couple of friends including Farsidefan1-Jay who stayed at the Sea Passion and that was a definite notch or two above the WP. The grounds and rooms were very nice but if you do not want to spend the $30+ a night for the extras the WP works for me as I’d rather spend those $ at Bottom Time Bar and Grill, Kramers, Taj etc.

I dove with Sams again this year. Sams has done a lot remodeling and updating of their operation and boats over the last 3 to 4 years, now they have added a new boat called the Bullshark. Very nice boat with a total of 8 seats that hold 2 people per seat and your tanks are behind the seat. There were no more than ten guests on the boat plus a DM and Guide. One thing I have heard from people (especially new people to Sams) is how chaotic it is in the AM. I look at it with amusement….all you need to do is look at the board for the boat your on and concentrate getting setup, if you need anything ask one of the people running around. They always resolve everything and your boat generally leaves around 8:30 to 9:00 am and since I do not have any pressing appointments…Never a worry!

This year the weather was a factor, they are saying they are having more rain in the Dry season than in the Wet season. Usually February and March are exceptionally nice months. Of the 15 days I was there we had winds, rain and clouds for the majority of my trip, only 1½ days of sun and calm waters. One day we could not get out to the reefs and dove wrecks and sites like the lighthouse. Couple of the days we could only do two dives. Also I had caught a cold that went into my ears! Not fun and had to cancel one day of diving….at least that was a bad weather day!

Diving-13 dive days (planned 14 days but caught that cold which went in my ears), 84 degree water temps and 37 dives. The visibility was not the usual due to the rain and winds. Had some spectacular dives one at the New dropoff that I saw at least 50+ schooling gray reef sharks. Ulong and the German channel had the Scad, Fusiliers and other schooling baitfish herded by Sharks, Wrasse, giant Jacks etc. The Blue corner…as usual was great with a couple of juvenile eagle rays (that were not afraid of getting very close), Spanish mackerel, Tuna, Dogtooth Tuna, Sharks, marbled rays, numerous wrasse and a couple of the large Napoleon Wrasse that come around to check you out when you are hooked up! Had a couple of stellar dives at the Blue Corner with a 50 minute hook up and Ulong when you get one of those days the current was perfect also saw a few mantas at the German channel, some people saw up to 5 and some did not see one….as they say timing is everything.

Tried a couple of new spots this year, Ngercheong outside and the Teshio wreck. Found Ngercheong to be excellent with corals similar to Ulong which also had turtles, lots of flame angles, tropical’s, sharks, turtles here and there etc…great dive. The Teshio wreck is one of the better wrecks in Palau cannot believe I have not done it before!

On my no dive day I went up to Babeldaob and saw the mini Washington DC. I think that money could have been spent elsewhere…LOL. The Beaches up there were magnificent! I asked Dermot and Nick at Sams if they have ever explored the diving up there and they had. But still the best dive spots are out on the reefs from Koror. Sams may in the next year or two offer trips up there but I am assured there would be a nice fuel surcharge!

Overall I had a great trip, although the weather was so-so and had an ear infection….Cannot wait until next year!!!

Last edited:
I dove with Sams again this year. Sams has done a lot remodeling and updating of their operation and boats over the last 3 to 4 years, now they have added a new boat called the Bullshark. Very nice boat with a total of 8 seats that hold 2 people per seat and your tanks are behind the seat. There were no more than ten guests on the boat plus a DM and Guide. One thing I have heard from people (especially new people to Sams) is how chaotic it is in the AM. I look at it with amusement….all you need to do is look at the board for the boat your on and concentrate getting setup, if you need anything ask one of the people running around. They always resolve everything and your boat generally leaves around 8:30 to 9:00 am and since I do not have any pressing appointments…Never a worry!

ha - another friend gave me the same advice....her husband is very Type A and found the Sam's crew extremely frustrating, she is more laid back and managed to keep a good attitude going so she had a better time (as did he, once she convinced him to relax).

So glad you made it thru Narita before the quake!

Exactly one month until our trip!!! So excited - but will definitely take your advice and try to remember that I'm on a VACATION!

Thanks for the report Scott, Now, the pictures. I didn't post any and I told folks yours were much better, ante up dude:D. We want to see! glad you are safe, sound, and radiation free. sounds like I need to do more research in Palau, some dives sites you mentioned that I have not seen yet. Lynne says as a scientist she is comming with me for research next yr so you will meet her. Looking forward to the photos, later, Jay

Aloha Scott.
Always glad to hear your reports.
I leave for Palau 3/24/11.
Hoping the sun shines for us.

How many times did you eat at the Taj?
(ha ha)
Did you try the new Thai place?

Thanks for the report Scott, Now, the pictures. I didn't post any and I told folks yours were much better, ante up dude:D. We want to see! glad you are safe, sound, and radiation free. sounds like I need to do more research in Palau, some dives sites you mentioned that I have not seen yet. Lynne says as a scientist she is comming with me for research next yr so you will meet her. Looking forward to the photos, later, Jay

Hi Jay,

How do I post pics??...LOL.....When are you going next year?...I'm thinking about first 10 days in March.

Aloha Scott.
Always glad to hear your reports.
I leave for Palau 3/24/11.
Hoping the sun shines for us.

How many times did you eat at the Taj?
(ha ha)
Did you try the new Thai place?

Hi Don,

Would of been nice to hook up with you again...did you make the switch to Digital yet?

Did not get to the Taj or try the new Thai place heard about it though....you should hit great weather...hopefully the water will be calm with little or no rain for ya.....I should not really complain the previous two years the water had been flat and sunny almost everyday....but this year it was payback!!!!...LOL

Yeah, I was in Palau at the same time. Not only did the wind kick up, but it turned westerly, which is freakish in February and locks out the great sites, and then turned due north, which is unheard of at any time of year. That's when everyone hits Ngercheong, which was in pretyy good shape. Re the possiblity of diving farther to the north on that side, nada. I explored it pretty heavily when I lived and worked there, and found nothing interesting on that side. Palau is mainly about corners! However, some of the liveaboards are heading way north to Velasco Reef, which is pretty awesome! Wild stuff. Still, though, can't beat Ngemelis and Peleliu when in Palau.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom