Palau undercurrent close call...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
What made your regs free flow if you were going with the current?

When we exited the wreck we had to exit against the current. The exit wasn't easy. The current was telling us, in effect, stay put. My regs went into instant free flow. My octopus was okay afterwards but my other reg needs maintenance. I haven't used it since. Luckily I have another reg. I will get it serviced when I head somewhere that has the tools to service my reg.

diverkim once bubbled...
Why did the woman bind her arm to the hookline? Didn't anyone explain to her how to use the line? Sad.

She didn't. Worse. She attached herself to the reef hook with a clip to her BC.

Oh!

There is no reason for the Bouy 6 to be run in high current. Did the guide on the BBE have any idea of what he/she was doing?

It lies in the middle of the only navigatable deep water channel on the east side of Malakal harbor. Then channel is 70' deep max and only about 100 yards at its widest. Keep in mind you are trying empty hundreds (thousands?) of acres of lagoon through it.

You can pull up any tide chart for Koror and guess the incoming or outgoing tide and be accurate to 10 or 15 minutes. Just pull over the channel marker and have a look at the surface of the water to guess the current for sure.

It is best to run it from a slack to outgoing (preferred) or slack to incoming tides. You drop on the small wreck, look around, duck behind it as the current picks up, then follow the shallow reef in a drift until you surface.

To have the group drop in the water at anytime other than a slack tide was just insanity or stupidity, I will let you be the judge.

kevink once bubbled...
There is no reason for the Bouy 6 to be run in high current. Did the guide on the BBE have any idea of what he/she was doing?

To have the group drop in the water at anytime other than a slack tide was just insanity or stupidity, I will let you be the judge.

The Big Blue is in Palau because the Filipino owner circumvented a law preventing any more liveaboards on Koror by bribing a senator from a southern island. The ship is a research vessel bought on the cheap from Japan. The crew is hard working but underpaid and so are the dive guides.

This can be a recipe for "insanity or stupidity."

diverkim once bubbled...

The Big Blue is in Palau because the Filipino owner circumvented a law preventing any more liveaboards on Koror by bribing a senator from a southern island. The ship is a research vessel bought on the cheap from Japan. The crew is hard working but underpaid and so are the dive guides.

This can be a recipe for "insanity or stupidity."

^^^
ditto what she said!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom