Panama City Beach - Oct 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maui Bound

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We are headed to Panama City Beach in October (traded timeshare for Marriott timeshare). I am hoping to get some information on best operators, shore diving, and must see dives. Also - any info on what I can expect for conditions that time of year.

Thanks

You may want to have Cypress, Vortex, and Morrison Springs as back up plans. October is the tail end of hurricane season. This past year was mild, but the year before wasn't so mild IIRC. So offshore diving may not be in the cards. But that doesn't mean you won't be able to dive at all.

We had a great experience with Panama City Dive Center. In March my son and a friend did their openwater checkouts and I did a two tank boat dive with them. Great people been in business at least 23 years at the same location (I did my open water checkouts through them in 1987).
Chris

Last edited:
October is the best time of year for diving in Panama City, there are now 4 shops to choose from.
Dive Locker
Panama City Dive Center
Divers Den
Panama City Dive Charters (me)
I'll stop shy of making a recommendation but our primary boat the Steel Slinger is at the Bay Point Marina about a quarter mile from the Marriott.
steel_slinger_7v66.jpg

Water will still be 75-80*F and the weather pattern is much more predictable with zero-few sudden storms like in the Summer time. Visibility varies too much to say all year but we average 30' in my estimation. I second the recommendations on the Springs and Jetties for shore dives. Make sure you check the tides on the jetties before you go and try to time it for an hour before high tide for best vis and minimal current.

Here is a link to our google business profile including reviews if you care to check us out.

Thanks for the info - lots of choices. Definitely will make plans early but still a little time.

I have used the Divelocker for years now. I also dive in October in Panama Beach. When I was down in Oct. that first dive was a record low for that day in history (air temp). The water was in the high 60's. Normally when I am down the water temp. is in the 70's and 80's. If you need a dive partner in Oct. PM me and we will meet up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom