Panama City Beach trip report 8/12-14/5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

m7scuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Better late than never, but here is my report for the trip that we took down to Panama City Beach this past weekend. My LDS (Dolphin Dive Center) organized the trip and we dove most of our dives off of the Splash from Diver's Den.

We arrived late Thursday evening so that we could rest up for an afternoon dive on Friday. Saturday we got up early and did 2 morning dives and then 2 afternoon dives. Sunday morning we did 2 more dives before coming home. Here's what we saw:

USS Strength (8/12 2 p.m.) 2-5 ft viz @ 71 ft max
Bridge Span (8/12 3:30 p.m.) 5-20 ft viz @ 72 ft max (the better viz at top of span)

Two Tugs (8/13 8:30 a.m.) 10-20 ft viz @ 101 ft max
Bridge Span (8/13 10 a.m.) 5-20 ft viz @ 72 ft max

Black Bart (8/13 2 p.m.) 10-20 ft viz @ 82 ft max (saw a big jewfish)
Bridge Span (8/13 3:30 p.m.) 10-20 ft viz @ 75 ft max

Hovercraft (8/14 9 a.m.) 10-20 ft viz @ 76 ft max
Barge (8/14 10 a.m.) 10-20 ft viz @ 62 ft max
I got my first "deep dive" this trip and also finished up my Nitrox cert (Sat a.m. dives). I got to see quite a few fish. I'm not good on knowing which is which yet, so I don't have notes as to what specifically I saw. It's pretty amazing to see a school of thousands of these small fish that can just set there in place and then the whole group of fish will quickly move in concert. I saw a few fish on the bottom that reminded me of catfish, but I'm not sure what they were. A couple of others in the group did see a couple of sharks, but I didn't find them :(. I saw loads of sea urchins on the last two wrecks (and I can't believe how naieve I was to actually hold one in Hawaii before I get certified).

I did attempt to rescue a 6" fish on one dive. I was swimming around the wreck and saw this fish pointing straight up. I thought it odd, so I came close and realized that the fish was hooked to the wreck. Looks like this was one that got away from the fisherman, but didn't really get away :). I freed the hook from the wreck and removed the hook. I actually swam around with the fish in my hand for quite a while hoping that it would just swim off. It must have been there for a while because every time I let go it would try to swim and eventually sink to the sand on it's side. Eventually I decided to leave it - I guess it was either there too long and got too weak or was injured somehow. Sad.

This was my first s/w dive since I added the weights on the back of my Orion. I got all the way down to 12 lbs (just 2 in my pockets) and was probably still a pound or two heavy. It definately made buoyancy much easier than my certification trip in March where I had 22 lbs on (but I did have an additional 3 mil vest... ok nowhere near 10 lbs worth of neo...). This was also the first dives in s/w with my own regulator set. I had ordered a long hose, but it didn't come in before the trip. I borrowed one for the first 2 dives and can't wait until I can switch mine over. The jaw fatigue is night and day between a long hose that is wrapped and the hose that came with my reg. Now I'm just hoping that the 5' I got is going to be the right length for me.

In all this was a great trip. I'm looking forward to the next time I can get wet (probably in Lanier).

Brian

I'll add that my 3 favorite dives were the Black Bart, Hovercraft, and the Barge.

Right on, the Strength can be great in better viz, the breakdown area is pretty cool. Cant beat the BB though.

Good to see you had fun, too bad the viz was so-so. I love diving the black bart. You can pull some BT on it with some nitrox, and it's full of life. Last time I was on it there was a big cuda sitting in the wheelhouse.

Matt

Yep, that bakkaruda is a permanent fixture in the wheel house. . . guess they'll name him "Captain Cuda".

Hey, M7,
You going to come over New Year's Day and do a dive and join "The Lake Lanier Looney Birds"????

the K

You prolly saw some saltwater catfish. Normally they're not that far out, but sometimes I do see them on the spans, apparently following a change in salinity. I saw a bunch on span 14 on the 2nd.

The Kraken:
Yep, that bakkaruda is a permanent fixture in the wheel house. . . guess they'll name him "Captain Cuda".

Hey, M7,
You going to come over New Year's Day and do a dive and join "The Lake Lanier Looney Birds"????

the K
If I'm in town I do plan on bringing a tank out on the first. I'm not sure how long I'll last in the water though...

Some of the other divers reported that a skeleton had been placed in the wheel house, but I missed it. Apparently it is set up like it's piloting the ship with the "hands" on the wheel.

Some of the other divers reported that a skeleton had been placed in the wheel house, but I missed it. Apparently it is set up like it's piloting the ship with the "hands" on the wheel

Yeah, there is a small skeleton in the wheelhouse. Dove the Bart about 1 month ago and saw the little guy hanging out in there. He has been rigged up with a play tank and regulator. He might even have had a doo rag, but can't really remember.

I always enjoy diving the Bart, as Corigan said there is always a lot of sea life hanging out. We had two dolphins doing swim bys while hanging out doing our safety stop. First time I have ever seen them while actually diving.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom