Panama City Fl. Excursion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

davehicks

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I made a trip to the Santa Rosa beach over the July 4th weekend and managed to squeeze in a couple of dives out of Panama City. The dives were great, but I was less than impressed by the outfit I selected.

We signed up for a 4 hour charter with Hydrospace, and visited the Wreck of the Strength, and a sunken bridge span that was acting as an artificial reef.

The Strength was covered with little bait fish, and a lot of mostly gray overgrowth. Just little splashes of color here and there that made it interesting. I couple of little sharks dashed in and out of the schools of bait fish looking for a snack. The clouds of bait fish were pretty impressive, and I don’t think I seen quite that many outside of Cozumel.

The bridge span was pretty cool. The steel beams were covered in colorful corals, sponges, crabs, and fish. There were several of the biggest Barracuda that I have ever seen before. I’ve run into plenty in Honduras and Cozumel and never felt any qualms about getting close. These guys were in the heavyweight class and I felt pretty intimidated about getting too close. I took a bunch of photos, but never got within more than 10 feet or so. They must have been about 6 feet long and about 18 inches or more wide. Impressive.

The Hydrospace operation was the only letdown of the experience. They did have nice boats, and the crew was polite. Their shop, storerooms, and repair facility was a disaster area. It looked really disorganized and sloppy. No Nitrox was available as the compressor was broken. After loading up the boat, they checked the fuel supply and found it to be a little on the low side. No matter, it should be good for four hours. Well, try about 3:45! Predictably the boat ran out of gas about 5 miles offshore and had to be towed in.

Still I had fun, and took a few shots with my Ikelite / D70 / 18-70 rig.

Photos

Dave

Dave

Too bad about the towing service thing! We dived with them this weekend for the first time in about a year. Their shop disarray may be based on their having just moved from the old location.

But we found the boarding and disembarking to be a total goat rope this time as opposed to all the other times we've dived with them. And post each dive, they tossed fins back onto the deck and the divers were stumbling over them, kicking them around etc. A lot of that has to do with new divers who don't know boat etiquette but still...we had calm seas--a little chop and we might have had some broken divers!

We thought something was missing with the whole organization. Glad to know it wasn't just our hallucination but very unhappy to know they might be slipping.

Robin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom