Panasonic 7-14 mm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fabgo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi,

I am new to underwater photography and am evaluating housings and ports. I have the GX1 with the Panasonic 7-14mm lens. I am trying to decide between the (upcoming) 10Bar and the Nauticam housing. The Nauticam is twice the cost (once you add ports and gears) compared to the 10Bar, money I could use to buy other gear, such as the 8mm FE and port. I'd love to hear from Panasonic 7-14 owners and see some sample pictures taken with this lens on either housing before I make a decision. Does anyone have any pictures (preferrably hi-res) taken with the Panasonic 7-14 that they could share? I am especially interested in evaluating the corner sharpness at the wide end. Doesn't have to be super close-up - my main interest is whales, whale sharks, mantas, pelagics, etc., not reefs and CFWA.

Thanks,
- Fabian

My camera is EPL-1 not GX1, use with 10bar and semi dome. i can say 10bar semidome port - is too small for 7-8 mm.
here an example - you can see similar lot pic with soft edges in my album

Liberty_wreck_and_jackfish.jpg

From all the comments I've seen about the 10bar semi dome and the 7-14, it seems like it would make much more sense to use the olympus 9-18 behind that dome.

I have the oly 9-18 on an epl2 in the oly housing with the Zen dome and that's a great combo. I briefly thought about the 10bar, but comments like the ones from Winsu pushed me to the oly housing with Zen dome. I wasn't ready to go all the way to nauticam.
Wide angle was important to me and it seemed like the oly/Zen combo was the best value for IQ.
If money is no object, get the nauticam setup. Or sell your 7-14, get the 9-18 and the 10bar.
It just seems like the 7-14 behind the 10bar is a waste of money on the lense.

Hi Wisnu,

You got a lot of nice photos. I looked through all your albums. Thanks for leaving the EXIF info in! Of course it's a bit hard to judge from the small images, but I actually think the 10Bar port is looking pretty good, even at 7mm. Stopped down past f/8, and with a little care in focusing/composition, even the extreme corners are starting to look pretty decent to me.

I'm thinking for my planned use - whales, sharks, mantas, pelagics, which aren't as close, it could work pretty well.

Like kkfok though, I'd be curious to see some examples from the Nauticam 6" dome to see how it compares. I have heard mixed things about this setup, but haven't seen enough samples to form my own opinion.

For the 7-14mm you want to use as large a dome as possible. The dome also should be in the proper place. For 10-bar, you should get perfectly fine results with the fisheye dome port and an extension ring. I'm sure Nauticam will have a similar setup that gives good results. Like Wisnu said, the semi-dome port is not the right 10-bar port for the 7-14mm.

btw, one of our customers uses the 7-14mm for humpback whales and is very pleased with the results. A 9-18mm wouldn't be wide-enough for mantas, whales, whale sharks for me personally. Good luck! - Scott

You can use the 10Bar semi dome port with the 7-14 with a 12mm ext ring, but you won't have zoom control. That will help the corners at 7mm.

But even with a 6" dome and stopped down to f/11 or so, on a Nauticam GH2 setup I found that the 7-14 just isn't a good lens for CF/WA underwater. It does fine for large animals or wrecks when you have blue in the corners, etc. But the 8mm FE is a much better wide angle option; or the 9-18mm Oly is quite good behind the 10Bar semi-dome or other smaller domes like the Nauticam 4.3". We just don't think the 7-14mm is the best option.

Jack

For the 7-14mm you want to use as large a dome as possible. The dome also should be in the proper place. For 10-bar, you should get perfectly fine results with the fisheye dome port and an extension ring. I'm sure Nauticam will have a similar setup that gives good results. Like Wisnu said, the semi-dome port is not the right 10-bar port for the 7-14mm.

btw, one of our customers uses the 7-14mm for humpback whales and is very pleased with the results. A 9-18mm wouldn't be wide-enough for mantas, whales, whale sharks for me personally. Good luck! - Scott

Hi Scott.

That's kind of what I am thinking. If I can get proper dome placement, the 7-14mm should work fine. How big is the 10Bar FE dome? As far as I can tell a 4" dome would be a bit too small to place properly because of the fixed lens shade on this lens.

But as Jack is saying, I lose zoom control... I assume that is a peculiar issue with 10Bar housings? With other manufacturers zoom should still work even with an extension, correct?

Thanks,
- Fabian

Here's some photos shot at 7mm with the Nauticam GH2 behind their 6" 7-14 dome port, and yes you have full zoom control.

GH2-12 by Pixel Letch, on Flickr

GH2-8 by Pixel Letch, on Flickr

I think they work fine if you have blue water in the corners, but for CF/WA, even stopped down to f/11 or so, the corners are problematic.
So behind the 100x77mm 10bar port it will vignette unless you use a 12mm ext ring, which will also help the corners. Behind the 125 dome port results should be similar to the above - but again no zoom control on either solution. Which if you are shooting CF/WA isn't really an issue that big an issue.

I think the Oly 9-18 is a better lens for CF/WA behind the 10Bar 100 port. Shown below at 9mm on an E-PL1:

Aquarium shots w-9-18mm-12 by Pixel Letch, on Flickr

Jack

Here's some photos shot at 7mm with the Nauticam GH2 behind their 6" 7-14 dome port, and yes you have full zoom control.

Thanks Jack!

Do you know the focal length and aperture for those two Nauticam shots? Are both at 7mm? I can't see the Exif because downloading is disabled on flickr.

The 2nd one looks pretty good to me, I agree the 1st does have some corner problems.

Regards,
- Fabian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom