Panasonic GH4 or Sony FDR-AX100 for 4k video?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I disagree about the WB - I think its the best camera I've used for MWB underwater. Down to 20m I've had great results.

Agreed.. I set WB to the F3 button, really couldn't be easier.
As for the IS, body doesn't but many Lumix lenses have it, my 12-35 has it built in. Just hold the camera steady :)
I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but I'm sure I read that the broadcast industry is waiting for 8k before adopting any standards. Anyone know more about that?

I disagree about the WB - I think its the best camera I've used for MWB underwater. Down to 20m I've had great results.

I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but I'm sure I read that the broadcast industry is waiting for 8k before adopting any standards. Anyone know more about that?

We haven't had full saturation of 'FullHD' yet (about 10-20% of channels are in HD) - best we get so far is 1080i and even thats only 33.8-44.5Mbps in MPEG4

We are probably another 10years away from the next jump to 4K/8K mainstream broadcast

MWB underwater is a PITA with many cameras including mine. It's the darn Holy Grail of UW video if you ask me. I too will be resorting to a red filter to assist in WB. Won't be able to test it out at depth till maybe next month.

---------- Post added August 20th, 2014 at 03:26 PM ----------

GH4 review
Underwater Camera Articles: Panasonic GH4 Underwater Camera Review - Big 4K Resolution, Small Price

Just like GH2, it seems that GH4 cannot MWB nicely underwater. The recommendation to use magic filter is good, but then you lose some light...The sample video is really good.

The color obtained from magic filter MWB in that 1st video is great. I'm hoping I can accomplish the same. I'll be trying Matdiver's method of using a translucent medium ( cut piece from a milk gallon container) to obtain better MWB.

Good info thanks!

We haven't had full saturation of 'FullHD' yet (about 10-20% of channels are in HD) - best we get so far is 1080i and even thats only 33.8-44.5Mbps in MPEG4

We are probably another 10years away from the next jump to 4K/8K mainstream broadcast

Back
Top Bottom