Panasonic tz5 frustration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

walterberry

Reaction score
I bought a panasonic tz5 to replace my aging canon s400 and have been frustrated with the often blurry, noisy and/or dark photos it takes above and below water. I'm a very amateur point and shoot photographer, but that said, even in the green waters of British Columbia, I got some amazing shots with my old canon. I know all new cameras have a learning curve and any tips about this particular camera would be most appreciated. I'm very close to giving the camera away and going back to a canon point and shoot.

My old canon was much more basic than the tz5 and does not have the plethora of setting choices. I have been trying all the settings underwater that seem relevant, ie underwater scene, intelligent auto and regular auto with different iso's, etc. When I look through the canon forum on this board for underwater photography, I see discussions on specific questions for specific cameras. I am not finding much about the tz5 when I do searches. What I'm looking for is some discussions about the tz5 in terms of what it's strengths and weaknesses are underwater. I appreciate the link for the review you included in your reply. I tried to do my research before my purchase and read similar reviews. However the reviews on the camera were for land based photography. My review so far is that the underwater case is of excellent quality and design. The battery life is good for more than 1 40 minute dive and the case comes with a spare o-ring, desiccant bags and 2 weights. The photos seem to be consistently fairly dark and often blurry regardless of the settings I choose. Please understand that I expect to trash a high % of my photos regardless of camera; that's why I like digital. I try to shoot at my subjects, rather than down on them, as well as getting close. Shooting pics in BC is much more challenging than Belize, Cozumel or Kauai(other places I have taken lots of photos) due to the lower viz making things darker and the higher amount of particulate matter in the water and I accept this as the case regardless of the camera used. I decided to get on a forum because I have been disappointed with the camera-let's be honest, I did the research, liked the leica name on the lens and decided on a whim to get the camera instead of a new canon point and shoot. There was a long delay in the delivery of the underwater case due to manufacturing problems by panasonic: 3 months, which meant I didn't have the new camera, which I had paid for, to use on my trip to Belize last year and this put a bad taste in my mouth before I even used the camera underwater. Now, I am trying to be more rational, put my annoyance over the delivery aside and learn to use this camera: It's that or throw money at the problem and get a similarly priced canon. I know that with external strobes I could fix the lighting issues, but that is another topic. I took a whack of land pics today and got some good close ups of slugs, which are similar in subject to nudibranchs and thus require similar shooting methods. The camera can take good pictures on land. It does have problems with any sort of movement, resulting in either blurry pics or noisy when the iso is cranked up. So...that's my story...I paid for the camera and now I want to learn to be happier with my purchase, which I figured could be helped if I talk with someone who has experience using the tz5 underwater. Whew, sorry for the verbosity. By the way, perhaps I should be in a different forum, I did not know which one to chose.

Hi Walterberry!

How is the TZ5 working for you now? I bought a TZ5 for my trip to Indonesia in July 09 and I am now thinking about purchasing an underwater casing. But it seems like it just isn't that good for underwater photography?

Kind regards
mth

For panasonic camera's, I was told that the noise issues would appear when you set your ISO too high. Try to change it to mid-range ISO and see if there are any improvements.

Hi MTH,
I have come two conclusions concerning the TZ5. First, it appears to have a low dynamic range, which limits photo quality in low light situations. Second, the length of the 10x optical zoom lens requires a relatively long barrel on the underwater case. Since the zoom is not used underwater, the lens sits relatively far from the front of the case. This creates some sort of difficulty for the camera to focus when the subject is close. This may not be a problem in the high vis of the Red Sea, but in the low vis of British Columbia, I end up with a lot of back scatter. I do not have this problem with my old canon elf as I can get within inches of my subject. Finally, I had a lot of delays in getting the case and the problem was Panasonic's production. I ended up contacting Panasonic directly, which did not speed up the process, so ordering the case over the internet was frustrating. The case is well constructed and comes with an extra o-ring and weights for the case. My conclusion that above or below water, the tz5 is a good camera in high light situations with strong contrast. It takes beautiful panorama shots, but is not so great in the rain forest or for nudibranch pics. If anyone else has an opinion, I would enjoy reading it. I still have the camera, but find canon and olympia to be better cameras.

Thank you for the comment walterberry!

I wrote an email to Sinan in this forum: I will post the link when I reach 5 posts. regarding the TZ5 and wether or not he is happy with the camera. I got this response:

------------------------
I got the TZ5 for all-around p&s use with the intention of also using it as a travel/underwater camera. I also bought a Magic Filter (just Google it and it will come up) and I recently returned from a dive trip to Roatan. Overall I was happy with the setup. The magic filter works best in blue water in brighter days and up to around 50ft or so, after that the water just blocks out too much colour and the filter can't compensae enough. But for shallower diver with good/decent light the filter and TZ5 worked very well. I will put up some photos soon on my site and I will let you know when I do so.

The important thing is to be able to set Custom WB and also get decent high iso and shutter speed as you cant use the flash with the filter. Thus, I usually had the TZ5 in Intelligent ISO Max 800 mode where it tries to go for faster shutter speeds, alternatively you can use Auto ISO and set a minimum shutter speed through the menu. Not an ideal setup but it worked for me and I got some pretty good shots though in those deep spots (ie. 80-100ft) I did wish I had flash to get color. I wish Panny made an underwater housing for the LX3 - it would be the perfect underwater p&s as it has a fast lens (f/2) to compensate for the loss/absorption of light from the filter and water, good wideangle at 24mm and full manual control with RAW. You can get a housing for the LX3 from a third party company called 10 bar but the housing costs about 2x as much as the LX3 unfortunately so I settled with the TZ5 and it has met my expectations thus far. I can't tell much about using without the filter and with the built-in-flash but it should do OK like most other systems I feel.

Will send shots soon.

Regards,
Sinan
------------------------

I hope you might be able to use the information. I have not heard about the Magic Filter before... but it sounds like it works.

Kind regards
MTH

I just bought the TZ5 and housing as well. I used it on a recent trip to Hawaii and was very pleased with the results (especially considering this was my first time using an UW camera). The camera was set on underwater mode with automatic flash the whole time and I found it to be adequate. The pictures turned out well but I found that applying Auto Levels on them in Photoshop vastly improved their colour and overall look.

I too live in BC and am looking forward to testing the camera in our green/brown waters.

Back
Top Bottom