Pancake sanddollars, where are they?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all,
I'm interested in collecting pancake sanddollars. I visited a shell shop and saw some really big ones, 5-6 inches. Instead of buying them I'd like to go out and collect my own. The shop owner told me they come from the gulf but I haven't found any of these big ones, just the small 3 inchers that anyone can find in Desoto Park.

Does anyone know of any sweet spots to find them?

If you have access to a boat, go South of the pier, around the Manasota area...We're always seeing lots of them [alive and dead] while fossil hunting......Some as big as 8-9" across...Biggest one I ever found was 11 1/2" buts that's unusual and they don't have any real value to collectors....If you don't have access to a boat, stop at the dive shop in Venice and ask some of the divers to bring you back some.......Most of the 'regulars' will probably be glad to.......

I assume you do realize that when you collect them as live shells... they will end up stinking to high heaven for a period of time. If you live in a house and can put them out of smelling range good but if you life in an apt.. your neighbor will complain.

another place to try is the pass side of Passagrille Beach.. Take Beach Blvd to the very end, turn right... find a parking place on the beach side and take the last sand walkway to the beach.. you want to go at low tide to the beach.. haven't been out much this spring. Sand did not come back in to well and its still mostly rocks. But the shelling is good.. or was..

Or you can take the boat over to Shell Island and try your luck there.. There IS a small shell shop on Beach Blvd north of Corey blvd I think.. I always have to hunt for hit.. prices are decent though.

If you are in Bradenton, try running out the beach on Cortez Blvd.. turn left at the beach find a parking place there just before the bridge, over the pass.. used to be some sand dollars but you needed a mask and snorkel to find them..
'bella
'bella

Hi all,
I'm interested in collecting pancake sanddollars. I visited a shell shop and saw some really big ones, 5-6 inches. Instead of buying them I'd like to go out and collect my own. The shop owner told me they come from the gulf but I haven't found any of these big ones, just the small 3 inchers that anyone can find in Desoto Park.

Does anyone know of any sweet spots to find them?

---------- Post added April 20th, 2012 at 10:17 PM ----------

The beaches on Treasure Island are loaded with both living and bleached sand dollars. They are at least 6" but some are bigger. I'd say they are in 6-8' of water, and seem to be everywhere along the beach. You can park in any of the public parking lots along the beach (don't forget to pay the meter). Depending on how many you want you should bring a couple large catch bags. They take up more room then you'd think.

I just dove Venice beach yesterday. Didn't see any on the shore, but diving I saw hundreds of them alive and dead ranges from 3-6 inches.

I dove veterans reef yesturday and they were everywhere! Brought one home that was about 6" across for my daughter.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom