Panga?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jrk

Reaction score
Anyone on this group been on or around a Panga that could give me some inside opinion on build, seaworthiness, etc. I'm somewhat interested in this make, 22 SS (www.panga.com). Will be using for shallow and punching through the local inlet to shallow bluewater occasionally.

Thanks for any info,
Randy Kight
Richmond, VA

jrk:
Anyone on this group been on or around a Panga that could give me some inside opinion on build, seaworthiness, etc. I'm somewhat interested in this make, 22 SS (www.panga.com). Will be using for shallow and punching through the local inlet to shallow bluewater occasionally.

Thanks for any info,
Randy Kight
Richmond, VA

I looked at their website just last week as I'm in the market for a similar type boat, That style is very popular here in Belize mainly in two sizes. A 23 and a 25 "high bow" Mexican skiff. They work well and are used off the shallow beaches through small surf here as well as fishing over the reef. I've taken a 23 out over the reef many times diving while I lived in San Pedro. I'm likely going to get a 25 footer now. But my boat will only cost about US$ 6000 new (no motor with center console, bilge pump, bimini top, floor and an anchor compartment under the bow). The Pangas are quite a bit more expensive.

Their narrow beam causes them roll a lot in a beam sea. I was following one at slow speed in a RHIB. We were pretty stable but the panga was rockin and a rollin. Their flat bottoms make it a snappy kind of roll. I like them, I almost bought one--some guy in Tampa was asking $11.5k for a three year old one with a 90 hp. Then I checked them out at the boat show and they are narrow.

Check with Miami Coast Guard and see if they are going to sell surplus the ones they have. There must be 10 of them in the 26-28 foot range that they have confiscated. They are just taking up parking spaces, some have been stripped others have 3-200hp engines on them.

This is a question for my edification.

Why are Pangas narrow with a sharp bow and flat aft section? Is this to allow planning with low horsepower and still knife through waves without excessive pounding--letting the bow do the work? and the flatter aft section provide planning lift with low power? Just curious about these nifty designs. N

Nemrod:
This is a question for my edification.

Why are Pangas narrow with a sharp bow and flat aft section? Is this to allow planning with low horsepower and still knife through waves without excessive pounding--letting the bow do the work? and the flatter aft section provide planning lift with low power? Just curious about these nifty designs. N

That's it, they were designed as fishing boats for third world countries and economy was high on the list of priorities.

DennisS:
That's it, they were designed as fishing boats for third world countries and economy was high on the list of priorities.

You got it. What other 25 foot hull disign will plane with a 40 hp outboard? They do test your driving skills in rougher seas. ya man....:D

How good are they? More "Pangas" have been built that all other boats combined, so says the Mfg. Narrow beam does make them a bit snappy but if you make sure your COG is low where it should be anyway, they will survive when many others would not. They have a "boat show deal" 20 footer( or was it a 22?) motor and trailer for $20K. I have far more faith in them than many production "weekender" type boats like bayliners and such. With fuel prices such as they are, a small 4 stroke on a Panga will save a bunch in a hurry.

Wildcard:
How good are they? More "Pangas" have been built that all other boats combined, so says the Mfg. Narrow beam does make them a bit snappy but if you make sure your COG is low where it should be anyway, they will survive when many others would not. They have a "boat show deal" 20 footer( or was it a 22?) motor and trailer for $20K. I have far more faith in them than many production "weekender" type boats like bayliners and such. With fuel prices such as they are, a small 4 stroke on a Panga will save a bunch in a hurry.

Who built the first one with that design? Panga brand isn't that big here but the design is. I've seen them skipping the tops of waves when my old deep V 22 foot was slamming. They are tough too. I had a 23 foot in San Pedro when Hurricane Keith hit. When I went to the dock it had rolled or slid 100 yards to the upper end of the town soccer field. Absolutely no damage. I rolled it back to the water on some coconut logs and started the trusty Yamaha 60 right up. Most other boats in the field had been trashed or majorly damaged.
Be careful about talking trash about Bayliners....you'll wake Matt Unique....

Anyone interested in a Panga should check out Andros Boatworks. I've been looking for a new flats boat for really liked the Andros. Basically just a better finished Panga.

I think the claim is baised on Panga style boats more than the specific brand name. Talk trash about Bayliners? I was counting on bayliners for a good part of my tow/slavage business I was thinking of starting. Seems that half the time a boat is in distress, it's a bayliner. Just my observations.

Back
Top Bottom