Panic Attacks - is it normal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Panic (in diving) is a state that is brought on be unwarranted or unexpected set of conditions you were not expecting.

The single best method of preventing this is training and practice. It may be an over simplification but think of two people being tossed out of an airplane. Both have parachutes but only one has been skydiving hundreds of times and the other person has never even seen a parachute. One will no doubt panic and the other will calmly pop the chute.

Again, training and practice will all but eliminate any panic attacks.

Like others have said, training and practice... But also, another good thing would be to be transparent about the fact that you've had these experiences with people that you dive with. Let them know so that they can keep an eye on you and be prepared if you need assistance.

I have my AOW cert and also experience panic to the point of basically hyperventilating. Usually occurs when I over exert myself.

Did a referral at my LDS and no problem in the pool. Did my OW in Belize and had experienced Panic. First time it occurred my instructor was able to instruct me to stop and take slow deep breaths. After a few minutes I calmed down and finished the dive. In the boat he made the comment that has stuck with me, "It's not uncommon to have such a panic attack but its what you do after it starts that really matters". I continued to have panic attacks on various dives but was able to overcome them by just stopping and trying to control my breath. After a minute or so (felt like forever) I could finish my dives. 10 dives that trip and most started with a panic attack. Then I had a great time after that.

1 year later I decided to try it again and do my AOW in Cozumel. Same thing. Had various panic attacks but got through it. However, I had my weight belt fall to my knees and I recovered no problem. Buddy bumped my mask and it filled with water. I was able to clear it without panic. The last day of the trip I did 4 dives and lo and behold no panic attacks all 4 dives. I was so happy. 14 dives that trip.

6 months later decided to give Monterey a try by doing a dry suit cert. Pool was fine even after fighting some with the suit. Did the 2 shore dives and both went great even though viz was only 10-15ft and I was cold due to one size too samll on the rental suit. Seemed I conquered it finally.

1 month later decided to do a boat dive in Monetrey with my instructor and 1 other person (my buddy) finishing their AOW. I was just diving with them. I explained to both I'm slow to decent because I'm slow to equalize. Viz was again 10-15ft but I was warm since the dry suit was the correct size this time. First dive, got in the water, followed the line to the anchor just as instructed. Instructor signaled to follow. I turned to let my buddy get started and I would go with him. I turned and instructor could not be seen. Turned to my buddy again and he gave me "what happend to the instructor" signal. We waited but still no instructor. Buddy signaled to go up and I signaled to wait. Still no instructor so we finally agreed to surface. Still no instructor. We then agreed to go back down to the anchor and just hang to see if the instructor shows up. I reminded my buddy I'm slow to descend because I'm slow to equalize. I descend very slowly and lost site of my buddy since he descended faster. I finally get to the anchor and I just see the fins of my buddy and instructor ride off in the sunset. I was out of breath some trying to descend due to trouble equalizing and getting all the air out of my BCD and suit to sink. When I had seen them disappear I panicked/hyperventilated. Surfaced and called the dive.

Second dive we changed to steal tanks so that gave me some extra weight which I thought would help me not have so much trouble descending. Well, I descended a little too fast and at about 15ftft I got wrapped in kelp. First time I experienced that so I panicked/hyperventilated and this time just bolted to the surface and called the dive.

I'm so VERY determind to dive. Its all I think about really but now I'm so nervous about it. Going to hire and DM for a one-on-one session to see if I can conquer this. I really hope diving is for me.

The day before my OW dives, I was snorkeling and ingested some saltwater and was on the verge of panic. It freaked me out because I knew that I was doing my OW dives over the next 2 days - What if that happens at 45fsw? I was VERY apprehensive gearing up for the dives but it all melted away once I was underwater. And that's happened on other dives since then, too. Apprehensive as hell prior to entering the water and total calm once underwater.

Yes, I think taking in the saltwater really shook me, although it didnt occur to me when I was signing up for the 2 leisure dives. It was only on the boat and when I went into the water. As I went deeper and deeper in I kept looking to the surface wondering how far it would be for me to go up if I screwed up again.

But its great that Im hearing all these amazing pointers and encouragement. I was beginning to think I couldnt do it again.

Panic attacks are not normal. They come on for no apparent reason. Fortunately, it doesn't sound like you had one. It sounds to me like you became frightened for a valid reason and that fear grew into panic (or perhaps merely near panic, your post isn't that clear).

Let's examine diving in general, your situation in particular and what you can do to correct your problem. You can correct your problem, but simply diving more is likely to merely hide the problem where it could easily creep up on you unexpectly in the future.

People do not live in the water. We breathe air, not water. When we breathe underwater, we drown. I know this, you know this everyone knows this. The idea of breathing underwater scares us. It should. This fear was driven home for you when you accidentally swallowed a large amount of salt water, felt like you were drowning. After an experience like that, you have to expect to be on edge on a dive.

We generally overcome this fear as we learn to dive and become comfortable with our skill as divers. This is not automatic. We have to learn specific skills. We have to become quite good at them. We have to know we're good at them. We have to practice them.

A critical skill that should be second nature to every diver is one which many (most?) never truly master. That skill is no mask breathing. Every diver should be able to breathe as well underwater without a mask as with one. That only comes from practice. I often hear divers comment that they never practice no mask breathing or that they are not comfortable with no mask breathing. You've told us that no mask breathing is an issue for you because to aborted a dive due to a loose mask. Not to worry, this is a fairly easy skill to master.

Go to a pool. You only need 3 things at the pool at this point. 1. Mask 2. Snorkel 3. Weight belt with weight.

At no point will you leave the shallow end of the pool.

Take your snorkel off your mask and put on your weight belt. With your mask on the pool deck, your snorkel in your hand and your weight belt on, get into the shallow end of the pool. You should be where when you stand you are no deeper than chest deep, waist deep is even better. Put your snorkel in your mouth and breathe from it. Now, bend over and breathe through your snorkel while you dip your face into the water. If you are comfortable, stay awhile until you feel natural. If you have difficulty, think about drinking through a straw while you practice the excercise. Remember, you can always stand up straight to end the excercise at any time. If you need to, you can slowly build up your time until you feel comfortable.

Next, practice dropping underwater, allowing the snorkel to flood and coming up to blast it clear, leaving your face in the water. Continue until you are comfortable

At this point, you have accomplished three important things.

1. You lowered your anxiety level by working in a no risk (shallow) environment.
2. You became an expert in no mask breathing.
3. You know you can breathe with a flooded mask.

Now, put your snorkel down and pick up your mask. Put it on and drop down to your knees. Break the seal just enough to allow a small amount of water in. Clear the mask. Do not pull out on the bottom, merely push in on the top while looking up. The biggest mistake most people make is not looking up. The second most common mistake people make is not exhaling through their nose. Keep your mouth closed. Repeat this until you are comfortable. Don't forget to stand up and catch your breath between clearings. Now, increase the amount of water you allow into the mask to about ¼ flooded. When you are comfortable with that level, move to ½, then to a fully flooded mask. When you've reached the point you can clear it easily every time, see how many times you can clear it on one breath. After you are at this point, clearing your mask will be easy. You will have reached it in a step by step manner that was easy to accomplish.

Remember, you can always stand up if you feel uncomfortable.

This will solve your problem. Next time you feel your mask is too loose, you'll adjust it underwater. If you have to take it off to adjust it, that won't be a big deal, although most tighten with a tug on the strap.

After you are back in the water, make it a point to take off your mask and practice no mask breathing on every dive. Soon, people will be commenting that they wished they were as comfortable in the water as you are.

Finally, any time you feel frightened about anything, concentrate on making sure you are taking slow deep breaths. Slow deep breaths will clear your head and allow you to think about what ever is disturbing you allowing you to think of a solution.

You can do this. Believe in yourself. I believe in you.

Thank you so much. My mask being loose on the first dive, made me feel like i was going to breathe in salt water through my nose. That scared me and I immediately wanted to surface. I am going to try your excellent pointers out as soon as i can. The mask is certainly one of the the most basic pieces of equipment that us new divers should get used to and not simply go through during our pool sessions. What you've given is definitely invaluable advice.

That's just amazing! Going through an experience like that and bouncing back!
I am going to try that out. Breathewith my head underwater before descending...
thank you

I have my AOW cert and also experience panic to the point of basically hyperventilating. Usually occurs when I over exert myself.

Did a referral at my LDS and no problem in the pool. Did my OW in Belize and had experienced Panic. First time it occurred my instructor was able to instruct me to stop and take slow deep breaths. After a few minutes I calmed down and finished the dive. In the boat he made the comment that has stuck with me, "It's not uncommon to have such a panic attack but its what you do after it starts that really matters". I continued to have panic attacks on various dives but was able to overcome them by just stopping and trying to control my breath. After a minute or so (felt like forever) I could finish my dives. 10 dives that trip and most started with a panic attack. Then I had a great time after that.

1 year later I decided to try it again and do my AOW in Cozumel. Same thing. Had various panic attacks but got through it. However, I had my weight belt fall to my knees and I recovered no problem. Buddy bumped my mask and it filled with water. I was able to clear it without panic. The last day of the trip I did 4 dives and lo and behold no panic attacks all 4 dives. I was so happy. 14 dives that trip.

6 months later decided to give Monterey a try by doing a dry suit cert. Pool was fine even after fighting some with the suit. Did the 2 shore dives and both went great even though viz was only 10-15ft and I was cold due to one size too samll on the rental suit. Seemed I conquered it finally.

1 month later decided to do a boat dive in Monetrey with my instructor and 1 other person (my buddy) finishing their AOW. I was just diving with them. I explained to both I'm slow to decent because I'm slow to equalize. Viz was again 10-15ft but I was warm since the dry suit was the correct size this time. First dive, got in the water, followed the line to the anchor just as instructed. Instructor signaled to follow. I turned to let my buddy get started and I would go with him. I turned and instructor could not be seen. Turned to my buddy again and he gave me "what happend to the instructor" signal. We waited but still no instructor. Buddy signaled to go up and I signaled to wait. Still no instructor so we finally agreed to surface. Still no instructor. We then agreed to go back down to the anchor and just hang to see if the instructor shows up. I reminded my buddy I'm slow to descend because I'm slow to equalize. I descend very slowly and lost site of my buddy since he descended faster. I finally get to the anchor and I just see the fins of my buddy and instructor ride off in the sunset. I was out of breath some trying to descend due to trouble equalizing and getting all the air out of my BCD and suit to sink. When I had seen them disappear I panicked/hyperventilated. Surfaced and called the dive.

Second dive we changed to steal tanks so that gave me some extra weight which I thought would help me not have so much trouble descending. Well, I descended a little too fast and at about 15ftft I got wrapped in kelp. First time I experienced that so I panicked/hyperventilated and this time just bolted to the surface and called the dive.

I'm so VERY determind to dive. Its all I think about really but now I'm so nervous about it. Going to hire and DM for a one-on-one session to see if I can conquer this. I really hope diving is for me.

The experience from your last dive seems to have affected you quite a bit. Your account is detailed and I bet you've gone through it in your head over and over again. I hope you find the strength to dive again and overcome the panic attacks. A one on one session sounds like a good idea. I had a really good DM in my last trip even though it ended quick coz I panicked. But he was really patient and I was very comfortable with him. I wish i could have had him all to me and my buddy!
Don't give up! You've done so much already with regards to diving. I am sure you can do it, just like what everyone says.. take it slow and steady :)

That's just amazing! Going through an experience like that and bouncing back!
I am going to try that out. Breathewith my head underwater before descending...
thank you

If this is in response to my post, I should have wrote breathe with my face underwater before descending. I do this after entering the water, signaling ok and while everyone is getting situated before descending. For some reason it calms my nerves and lets my brain know that I can breathe underwater through that regulator thingy.

i find that i don't like the look of water when descending and am never quite sure when to stop snorkeling and put the reg in my mouth and start descending. i also never liked snorkeling and am not too comfy with breathing through a tube and looking down at the water, as a matter of fact i would rather hold my breath than use a snorkel, i guess i would also need to practice this in the pool. what was also challenging for me is to get used to the breathing as a whole, since i was free diving a lot before, it was unusual to switch the brain pattern that had already established connections between being underwater and not breathing to being underwater and breathing. i was also worried about the whole science behind and dangers to the point that i would not be able to sleep prior to my trainings. worry was also a novelty since i have spent 30 years actively free diving and never had experienced anxiety related to being in the water. relying on the equipment for basic need as breathing is a big thing, especially considering the environment and number of external factors that can contribute to accidents, let alone lack of skill to deal with situations.
do experienced divers suggest a pony air? i am thinking of perhaps purchasing one, for safety.

I had the same problem on my second day of confined water instruction and again at the beginning of the second day of my open water instruction. Oddly enough it took a big gulp of water up my nose at 20' to help me work through it. I started to panic while it happened but my instructor was already aware of my anxiety and I think that helped him help me. My first instinct was to surface quickly. My instructor saw what happened and grabbed me and gave a tug down making me realize I needed to try and stay under and work through the issue. I stopped my ascent, forced myself to get my breathing under control and was able to descend back to the platform and finish my skills. Working through a problem while staying under really helped me gain confidence. The patience of my instructors definitely helped.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom