panicking while learning scuba diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So Cal Guppy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I couldn't find this title anywhere. I found posts with the word "panic" in them, but I couldn't find one that was pin-pointed to panicking at the beginning of learning scuba.
It has been, hmmm, almost 5 months since I took up the idea of learning how to scuba diving. (Because my boyfriend is a long-time "merman", felt that I should share in the experiance and the excitement of swimming among the other animals of our planet.)

1. Well, I can tell you this, I had no trouble treading water for 10 mins in the swimming pool without touching the sides. It became difficult for me to put on my gear even if I had a buddy. Then once in the pool, everything changed...for the worse! I panic at the 8 foot level of the pool...why I don't know why. I was terrified in taking in water and letting go of my respirator, holding my breath, then reaching all the way back to grab it before I ran out of breath. doing 3 times in 3 different ways. It was not pleasent. To this day, I regret NOT following through with this lesson. But also I become deeply hut when I have pushed to where I have no where else to go but to do it. I have just over 6 months until this lesson will be non-in-void, meaning it will become a credit and not a refund. Also, I think I have a problem with my ear(s) and equalizing them. I have to have an ear test first then I don't know what is next after that. My instructor is a military individual and I'm not against military soldiers (thank you for all that you have done for us.), but I just so negative, disgusted, and I could see he had little patience for me who is a slow learner. I wish I was offered the explore part of scuba before actually doing it. This memory is off in one corner of my mind where I don't enjoy visiting at all. The instructor said that if there's a problem with me not being able to equalize my ears then scuba is not for me. But then someone I care about is out of alot of $$$!
Thank you for letting me to spill my guts out, it was back then when I last posted a thread.

1) make sure you are learning scuba for the right reason, namely, it is what you are comfortable doing and something you want to do

2) it is not good to feel pressured into doing it by time and money constraints

3) avoid instructors who lack patience

4) it doesn't sound like you have had enough exposure to depth with a tank on to know whether your ears are a potential problem or not

Different kinds of students learn best from different kinds of instructors. I felt a lot like you when I started. I was a comfortable swimmer, REALLY wanted to learn diving - but once I got all that gear on, I found myself completely freaking out. I also had a military-style instructor, very toss-you-in-the-deep-end sort. In reality, he was probably paying close attention to all of us - but I didn't FEEL like he was. I felt like I was on my own, and struggling.

Thankfully I had a very patient buddy who reassured me she'd keep an eye on me, or I never would have finished off the pool part of my class.

After my cert, I didn't dive again for years, until I met my now-husband - who was also a diver. And I was a nervous wreck on our first few dives together; even hired a divemaster to babysit us on my first boat dive.

I took a few more classes, and found some very patient instructors - the kind who knew when a person needed a little extra hand-holding. And you know, it made all the difference in the world to me just to know someone was really paying attention, and taking care of me.

Well, that, and just getting used to all that darned equipment squeezing in on you from all angles. :)

Anyway - don't feel bad. A lot of folks have a hard time getting the hang of it. Some of the best divers I know had to work past some issues at the start. I'd suggest you look into some one-on-one training, maybe with a different instructor, and just go at your own pace.

It is SO worth the effort if you can stick with it!

First off, let me say that I was wishy-washy about taking my OW class in the first place, but fell completely in love with diving, and have racked up over 400 dives in a little more than two years.

That said, I think you should look at your motivations for taking the class. If you're doing this for your SO, and you're that freaked about doing it, maybe this isn't something you really want to do. When your biggest worry is that somebody you care about will be out a lot of money, that worries me.

If you are convinced that scuba is something you really want to do -- for YOURSELF -- then you clearly need to take it more slowly. I was scuba retarded (look at the journal linked to in my sig line) and I should have taken more time in the pool than I did. But I have a huge amount of "good Marine" in me, so I just kept plowing forward. I got certified, but if I had had any sense at all, I would have been very scared. You don't want to end up there.

I would sit down with your instructor and explain, quietly, what YOUR subjective experience of the pool sessons was. If you are frightened about being without a regulator in your mouth, maybe floating on the surface and using the reg as a snorkel substitute would work. You can take the reg out of your mouth, float for a few moments, and put it back in. Once you're happy that you can do that, you can try taking the reg out for a few moments while you're floating, or even kneeling (although I hate seeing people doing that in classes). All the time, you have the reg in your hand, and you know you can pop it back in at any time. Once you're really comfortable with that, you can throw it away and look for it.

When I was first certified, although I passed the skills, I wasn't happy with a reg out of my mouth at all. I realized this was a problem, so I worked on it, and eventually, I reached a day where I actually had to stop myself from taking a breath WITHOUT the reg in my mouth, because I'd become so comfortable with my ability to breathe underwater. It just takes time and practice.

Hi Erica-I too have experienced some dive panic. Got through my open water w/only one attack-shot like a rocket to the surface from18ft. Have succeded a few additional dives with no panic - then my last was walk in- salt water, wasn't waited enough & panic and shot to the top again like a bottle rocket...this time from 42 ft. I have enjoyed the few dives I have accomplished - however I feel I need dive sitter to asssit me the first few dives from now. I want to continue as it has so much to offer. Remember ONLY 10% of the popluation dive - and atleast you can say you are of that 10%. Go slow, research, find your weaknesses and a patient instructor or advanced buddy. We can both do this - some of us grasp new adventures quicker than others. Hang tight and KEEP OF DIVING-Please keep me posted. Good Luck! WannaDive - ccherry@mchsi.com

1) make sure you are learning scuba for the right reason, namely, it is what you are comfortable doing and something you want to do

2) it is not good to feel pressured into doing it by time and money constraints

3) avoid instructors who lack patience

4) it doesn't sound like you have had enough exposure to depth with a tank on to know whether your ears are a potential problem or not
What the brain surgeon said..
And Ill add that equalizing can be as much about technique and how its taught by the instructor as it is about "your ears being weird".. Ill see if I can find a very educative video link here..

Edit: Here we go (linked to the thread) http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...iv-washington-really-must-see-any-newbie.html

Everybody has already provided some really nice advice.

I also didn't care to much for the 'find your reg' drill. My biggest problem was the fact that rental gear just lets all of your stuff dangle freely. In a situation where you lose your regulator you are probably not going to be interested in a hunt to get a breath.

The first thing i did after class was over was find a solution to the reg hunting business. first, i just used a good octo holder. that way I always have that. I later switched to a backup around my neck 'tech style'. That way if I ever do lose my reg i know exactly where my next is. Not to push the 'tech' ideals but just merely suggesting that something of this liking would probably help you out a lot!

As far as the ears go I think everybody is going to have problems to start out. Once i got better at controlling my rate of descent and ascent (practice practice practice) my ears feel fine now.

Erica,

Diving is one of the most wonderful experiences that anyone can have. To be out there in the oceans and see and, yes, feel the beauty of the sea. Everyone gets panic attacks - yes I know - I am sure that you hear this all the time when you speak to people about it. As someone starting out in diving there are a lot of things to consider, all this equipment that you have do things with, the BC - fill it with air or dump the air, the additional weight on you belt, carrying that tanks around and then there are all those skills to learn. It can be daunting but it can be overcome with some patience.

From reading your posting here are a couple of suggestions that you might consider trying:
1. Get rid of your instructor - I am sure he is good but it sounds like he is not your type. The most important thing in learning to dive is to have a instructor that you can work with. Or at least sit down with the guy and tell what you think and how you would like to learn. You are paying for it after all.
2. For the pool training - get comfortable in the pool without the gear. Get in the pool and try some of the skills with just the mask and fins. As and example when you descend in diving you breathe out and you position is vertical as if you are standing up - do the same - take a breath on the surface while your are positioned in the descent position and then exhale and you will drop down as you would with the gear on. The idea is just to get comfortable in the water and relax.
3. Have fun - there should be no pressure to do this because your boyfriend is doing it. I am sure that your boyfriend will not leave you because you are not diving - so don't sweat it. Talk to your instructor and if doesn't get it get another one.
4. Don't give up - it really is worth it!

Erica,

Try this if you decide to try again. Just sit on the bottom of the pool and breathe with the regulator. People (instructors included) forget that this is a really un-natural experience and sometimes it takes awhile to adjust to it. When you reach the mind-set of 'this is cool, I'm breathing underwater' than you are ready for more exercises. When you panic at 8' it's not because you are in danger, 'cause your not. You don't panic when you free dive to the bottom of a pool, do you? It's because you're overwhelmed by the unfamiliarity of the situation. So take it at your own pace and you should be fine.

Hi Erika - It's me again:
During the LEARNING/TRAINING period for us divers who want to dive but are slow learners for one reason or another - I had written in on another board which I am a member of -with various expereienced divers - just wanted to share some of there wisdom. The more we can learn the better we will become. ENJOY! The articles and their advice are funny - yet true.
The Worst moment is when you are about to jump into the water.

Jumping, and then falling into the water is a traumatic experience…. How the weather, texture, gravity… everything changes around you!

Put into your head that the jumping into the water is kind of like birth.
Think about the baby being born, going from a warm liquid environment to air---- just like we do when we jump in!!! Or so it is when you go into warm water… lol!!! This mental image of “being born” helps me get relaxed in a few secs. I am usually hyperventilating and stressed out and force myself to relax so I can have a good dive.

No need to hyperventilate and get stressed out!!!

Unless you dive a lot (like our dear master), there is always going to be some !”hard work” going to be involved…

Like trying to keep your floatability in order, etc. etc.

Why don’t you make a cue sheet for the routine you have to follow (prepping your equipment, putting the tank & regulator together, opening regulator, checking air comes out. Check weight belt, prepare mask, etc. etc. ) and read it at the stop lights to learn it – go over it in your mind a few times and that will make you fell very confident. You can even put it in a plastic bag and take it with you if you want.

Sleep well, eat well, drink water, walk.
Skip the wine & partying - And you will be just fine.
Last, but not least, make a mental picture of yourself jumping into the water, AND enjoying yourself.

Go over it gain and again. Your brain does not know the dif between a real experience and day dreaming. Playing that ”movie” over and over in your mind will make your brain think you are very familiar with the scuba diving – (jumping in, relaxing, having fun, etc.) next time you do it…. It will be just one more dive!

1st
tell everyone how you feel, tell them you re nervous. There is someone who will understand and help. I would, it has happened to me and to others
2nd,
take your time, you don't have to impress anyone.
3rd
take the dive in steps and take each one as an accomplishment. I remember when I went with an experienced diver and made it to the first buoy on the surface, he actually told me if I want to stop no problem, he got in the water and was happy, calmed me right down and continued the dive.
4th
take your time, equalize often and breath slowly
5th
if you get out of breath STOP and regain your composure.

- There is no monster there to eat you, or aliens to kidnap you (those are airborne you know) or any terrible dangers like that! I too am afraid of the ocean… want to know a secret? I hate to swim. I can do it, but I hate it! But diving… ohhhh, Diving is such an entire different matter! It’s a gift like no other. My brother says its like floating out in space. He’s got a point, you know… Me – I think good gives us a peek of what his view must be like: when I’m floating over the brain coral & all the tinny little fishes running back & forth, in & out… Like a perfect ballet, I think God must look like that at us, moving around and around, scurrying, doing our daily stuff, while he watches it all from above….Actually, just after I jump in the water and start frantically looking every which way, to get a feel of the place, I am breathing terribly fast! Then I thing of the birth image, listen to myself and remember I have to calm down… two or three deep gulps of air usually give me the assurance I need that my air supply is safe, and then I can relax a lot!

Back
Top Bottom