Papua in August - Kri, Mankowari, Biak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Manta Man

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,
Still not sure where we are going this summer. I have been looking in Kri, Raja Empat, & was wondering if anyone out there has been there in the month of August & could tell me what the dive conditions are. I just find it a little strange when Misool resort is closed because of high waves & bad diving conditions yet Kri, not too far away, claims "the diving is good all year round". We'd also want to check out the wrecks in Mankowari and/or Biak. Has anyone been? I am sure the diving there is great but does anyone know of a dive club there, or a least a local that has tanks & a compressor!

Cheers

MM

Actually it is a long way from Misool resort to Kri (not sure where u got that from).....End of July, August and the 1st week of September is the windy season for the divesites of Missool (Southern R4) With sheltered dive sites in the North.
Kri resort does have diving all year round..... You will notice that most of the live-aboards have departed during these months......this is always a good guide to the seasons

Thx Wayan. I figured Misool was out of bounds during August & I perhaps thought that as most LOBS include it on their trip and it being windy season and all that, that's why they were down Komodo. However, we have found a LOB in August heading Sorong-Matah, Mansur, Airbore(where the hell is this place?) Fam, Kawe, Urani, Fam, Wai & Sorong x 10days cruise. Ok, it's windy season & the boat looks smaller than say the Ondina/Pindito. According to Papua diving " the wind is similar to a freshing light breeze" Just not sure whether to believe that or not. Do you think I am mad/ wasting my money going on West to North LOB in August? Any advice would help as honest advice is hard to come by.

Cheers

MM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom