Papua New Guinea and Guam in December/January

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SpeckledGrouper

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Just booked our next trip to Australia (Dove Spirit of Freedom in Dec 2010)!
We'll probably spend some days with friends in Yeppoon and Mackay first and then Xmas in Papua New Guinea. For the return flight, we'll have 3 days in Guam.
I am looking for any and all info/recommendations for PNG and Guam.
Thanks

How much time will you have in PNG? Actually spent Xmas there as well one time! Have been to Milne Bay and Loloata twice, and also to Rabaul and Tufi, so I can give you input on those, but don't know how much time you have.

Right now I have nothing but the flights from Florida to Sydney on December 16 (of course getting there 2 days later) and the return flight leaving from Cains to Guam on January 4. So we are totally flexible for anything in between....

Assuming you have about 10 days or so then I'd spend 2-3 days staying and diving at Loloata just outside of Port Moresby (plus saves you from having to spend any time in the city) and the rest of the time in Milne Bay..I've only stayed at Tawali both times but I believe there's at least one other option there now without having to stay all the way out in Alotau. I'd keep it simple with the time you have and only take in those two places...airline schedules are highly unpredictable which would probably cost you too much time to take in anywhere else, plus you'll likely have to burn at least one night in POM (spend it at Loloata) coming and/or going from AUS. Milne Bay has it all...fantastic muck diving with the best single site for nudibranchs I've ever dove in the world, but also beautiful walls and reefs..actually the same description can be said for Loloata. At both you have the possibility of seeing rarities such as rhinopias, etc. Both places are fairly pricey as all resorts tend to be in PNG...you really don't have too many diving operators to choose from in areas...most dive resorts are isolated and travel to different areas of PNG is really limited to being via air. No matter where you choose you won't be sorry...I think PNG is really second only to Indonesia among dive destinations in the world.

ocdiver, thanks for the recommendations. I have been reading all day today, my eyes hurt...lol.
For our time frame, unfortunately, none of the Liveaboards, except maybe the Chertan, are available so it looks like land based. I am now torn between Rabaul, Madang and Milne Bay. We are not into large pelagic, more into coral and small fish.

guamrider, we will have one day to dive, I'll be sure to check them out.

Any more recommendations are appreciated!

Best place for macro and overall diving in general will be Milne Bay and Loloata. I have been to Rabaul..stayed/dove at Kabaira..if you want more info pm me. You might want to also consider Tufi...good variety of diving and very good macro at their wharf. Can't tell you anything about Madang.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom