Papua New Guinea: Kimbe Bay Zero Wreck - Image gallery and location page...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

donsilcock

Contributor
Reaction score
In September I spent two weeks at Walindi Resort as part of a book project I am working on for PNG. It was a great trip and I had numerous great dives, but really wanted to dive the Mitsubishi Zero wreck as it was on the front cover of UWP just before I left and I was quite intrigued by it.

As it is located close to shore, it has to be dived after a couple of rain-free days and it was the last day of my trip before I finally got to dive it, plus I was really lucky as the small group of US based divers who were on the boat with me that day let me go first and have 15 minutes alone before they came in. This was really critical as the wreck is on a sandy seabed that is easily stirred up...

I was even luckier as I found the wreck staight away on the bearings given to me by the dive guide.... Navigation never was my forte underwater!

It's a great dive and a very photogenic wreck - probably my best shot is shown below and you can see the full gallery on this LINK and you can go to the location page for the wreck that describes the background and how it was found on this LINK

Don

Zero_06.jpg

Awesome picture. I recently spent five rain free days at Walindi Resort over Christmas but was overruled by fellow divers three times over visiting this wreck with my HD video camera... :( I am thankful you have allowed me to see what I missed and very sad that I did not get to film it.

That's a real pity as it's a great dive in that the plane is in great condition (considering the amount of time that it has been underwater...) and I could have spent much longer on the site.

In many ways it ranks along with the Black Jack site (Diving Papua New Guinea: Milne Bay - The B-17F ?Black Jack?) in terms of a pristine aircraft wreck.

I guess there is always next time....

Don

Awesome picture. I recently spent five rain free days at Walindi Resort over Christmas but was overruled by fellow divers three times over visiting this wreck with my HD video camera... :( I am thankful you have allowed me to see what I missed and very sad that I did not get to film it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom