Paradise Hunter Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PARADISE HUNTER

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This report is going to be a bit of a ramble that goes over the diving, the dining, the hotel and what ever else seams interesting. I will try to make a post per day, but if fun gets in the way, then fun wins.

Got it on Tuesday, March 25th and staying for a week at Blue Angel. My overall impression of the hotel is very positive. It's my first time staying here and it usually takes me a few days to really get the feel for a new hotel or resort. So far all is good. The restaurant is a huge plus. Free breakfast. (although they start to late for Jeremy's 7:30 pickup). Opening at 7:00 I have to hustle more than I care for. But they do have coffee set up in the lobby very early and that works for me. They have a 2:1 happy hour on drinks and aps and that's pretty popular. The guitar music at night is a nice touch as you can sit on your balcony and enjoy along with the sound of the waves. Street side noise is a bit of a negative though.

Tuesday 3/25/14:
Did a check out dive off B.A.'s shore. Over all an easy entry. Time it with the waves, have hard souled shoes and watch for sea urchins. The dive was also an easy dive. Shallow 20'-25', lots of sun, good vis @100'. The sting ray pen next to the hotel makes navigation very easy. Just need to be mindful of the strong current. Four rays, lot's of small lobsters, fair amount of fish life my the fence. Not much in coral heads, lot's of cement rubble. Good check out dive or place to work on skills. Water and air temps both at 81F.

Town: Shot into town for few items. Lobster sandwich at Le Chef (great sandwich, but for $20 it better be). Exchanged money at a cambio. Internet is saying 13Pesos:$1, but cambios are buying at 12.2:1. Not sure if I could find better, I don't have an account with any of the local banks and didn't want to look all over to get a couple extra pesos for the time.

Stopped by Mega for some beer, wine, water and snacks.

Overall, town was busy. Of note, Hooters at the Punta Langusta pier is playing all NCAA games.

Diner was B.A. Took advantage of the happy hour and passed out early.

PH

Interesting. I wasn't aware you could stay at BA and not dive with them.

looking forward to your reports

Wednesday 3/26/13:

I'm diving three days with Jeremy with Living Underwater and three days with Raul and Bottom Time Divers. THis was the first of the three days. Jeremy starts early 7:30 pickup, makes for an early morning on vacation. But the upside is that you are usually one of the first to the southern dive sites. His new twin 155s certainly help. Even with the long bottom times and long surface interval, you usually get back to the hotel around 1:00.

First dive was Colombia. Air and water temp was 79F. Vis varied from @50' to 80'. MD 101'. Big surf. Mix sun and clouds. Marine life: small spotted drum, 3' wide green turtle eating and scratching itself like mad. Not the longest bt, but still a nice first dive of the boat.

Second dive was Palancar Bricks into Dalila. Vis was better at @100'. BT 71 and MD 61. More sun and lots of light on the dive. Great dive. Typical Cozumel Aquarium type dive. Lots of schooling fish. An absolutely HUGE dog snapper. Teeth like a bear trap. Big eagle ray. Two swimming nurses.

Rough ride back. Jewfish was really jumping.

Business is good for Jeremy. Full a.m. boat (8 divers) and he is also running an afternoon. Boat with a couple more divers. Despite being obviously tired from all the dives, he is still in great spirits.

Hung out at the hotel after the dives and put a dent into my beer supplies. Enjoyed my first nap in over a year.

Dinner at O'hana's on 5th Ave. Great deep dish pizza. The place was busy.

PH

What's a nap? :)

I know! It was nice!

Thursday 3/27/14:

Weather has been great. Sunny, no rain. South winds made for big waves.

Colombia Shallows: Air temp 82F, Water temp 79F. BT 90, MD33, Vis 100' What a fun dive site! Mix of grasses, sand bars and coral heads. Lot's of fish schools. Juveniles. Saw several large hawksbills. Coral formation gets more pronounced at the end.

Cedral Mountains: BT 65, MD71. Sea Horse, 2 splendids, 3 huge turtles. Octopus in whole surrounded with little conch shell, had it's eye looking out watching us as we watched it. Quality dive!

B.A. Shore dive. Lot's of small yellow rays and spotted moray. A ton of fish eating off the growth on the fence.

Side notes: Island is busy! The hotel is full and the restaurants are hopping. I've had to wait for awhile outside the hotel for taxi every time and shared cabs twice now. The taxi lines at the grocery stores and tourist spots are much shorter than usual. Good to see people making money.

So I watched a couple cruise ships leave the international pier last night. Seems that most go southeast, but some immediately spin and head back north (presumably a short trip that's headed back to FL). It got me thinking about the area they are going over when the first launch. I'm sure they are at least going over Paradise Reef and Las Palmas. I'm curious if anyone has been diving in the area when those monsters take off.

NCAA tournament. Went into town last night for diner at La Choza. Walked by Hooters, Woodys and Kellys all had the game on, but the scene at Kellys was by far the best. All the t.v.s were going, along with 50+ people in front of the big screen. Big WI contingent was there enjoying there victory. Should be fun tonight with back to back MI and MSU games.

PH

IMG_0579.jpgIMG_0578.jpg
Had lunch at the B.A. restaurant. Wish the view was better. :wink: Shrimp stuffed chile relleno was much needed.

Interesting. I wasn't aware you could stay at BA and not dive with them.

No, you don't have to dive with Blue Angel to stay there, you just get a better deal with the hotel/dive package.

but there are always folks who are diving with other ops that stay there when we are there.

BA has no issue with other dive ops picking up at their pier either, and I've seen quite a few other dive ops pick up divers there over the years.

by-the-by, you don't have to be staying there to go to the restaurant either. Many ex-pats go there to eat as well as people staying at other hotels.

you can also do the very nice shore dive there without staying there, they are always happy to rent you tanks for a shore dive...diving around the stingray enclosure is a great dive, day or night.

---------- Post added March 28th, 2014 at 11:48 AM ----------

A pre happy hour siesta.

...or post :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom