Paradise Versus Ohio

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marshallkarp

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Well, we got back late last night from Grand Cayman to Akron/Canton Airport. Contrary to popular belief, I did not go kicking and screaming.

The weather in GC was absolutely gorgeous. What an oddity, it only rained once all week for about two minutes on the Georgetown side of the island. I was expecting typical tropical storms every afternoon that blow over and make things hotter and more humid. There was an east blowing breeze all week that made things quite pleasant on our side of the island.

On Friday, I found a diver at our Reef Resort to go shore diving with. We left early in the morning and drove to Georgetown (one hour away) and the Eden Rock Dive Shop as Steve took good care of us. There, we rented weights and tanks and dove off the back. The back is a designated marine park, so boats can't go through there, thus no Diver Down Flag. There were two areas, Devils Grotto and Eden Rock Reef. Both had coral mountains, exotic reef life, and infinite vis. The max depth was about 50 feet and the two dives lasted about an hour each.

Frankly, I found this much more relaxing than the all week boat diving. There was no rush to get to the boat dock and no particular schedules to keep. Also, the worst part of boat diving is getting back on that boat in rough seas, so I did not miss that one bit. Also, there is the cost factor. I spent $85 for each of the four boat dives and at the Eden Rock, I spent $20 for the tank, refill, and weights. Pretty much your typical Gilboa, White Star, Portage experience where you dive, wait around talking or drinking pop, then dive again, but at your leisure.

Well different strokes for different folks. Pick your preference.

Sad day yesterday, though. Packed up and came home. Travel went without a hitch. Well, almost, the sink faucets did not work in the plane bathrooms so you had to use bottled water to wash your hands. I am sure there is a punchline here somewhere, but it escapes me at the moment.

Looking forward to my next dive trip. I will let you all know when the pictures and the video, the scary shark video, is up on my website.

Looking back, missions accomplished. My wife had a relaxing, quiet, lay on the beach and bake in sun trip, just the way she likes it, and I had my adventure.

God bless you all. Nice to know you were, in a sense, right along with me on my trip.

Marshall,

I have had two visits to Ohio...one for my son's graduation from Med School; the other at Portage Quarry for the Legends of Diving.

Both trips I considerd Ohio one of the most lovely of all the states populated by warm carring people.

You live in paradise--except for the winter months..

Look forward to once more see you and yours and all my friends in August at the Legends --Nic Icorn will display and give a presentation on evolution of diving...I will do the early homemade equipment, masks, reguators, etc.

SAM
sam

You live in paradise--except for the winter months..

Did you have to use the "W" word??? It isn't even August yet!

I may try to make Legends. I may have a DM class that weekend.

Nice write up Marshall. Let me know the next time you're ready to dive Ohio!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom