Question Paralenz Vaquita Data Sharing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba_divo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
One of the reasons I purchased a Vaquita was the ocean data sharing feature. Is anyone aware of the best-practice for this? As I understand it, Paralenz wants us to upload our vids to the app. However, after using the Vaquita for a few days and interacting with the app, I have some questions.

Data transfer speeds to get footage into the app are extremely slow making high res footage transfer almost impossible, and long term I can't keep the footage on my mobile device without running out of space quickly. So, is the best practice to just upload low res versions into the app, leave it there for a few days, then delete? Is this enough time for them to data mine and share the depth, temp, salinity, etc. data with relevant groups? The info on their website isn't really clear about how this works.

Thanks for any info you could offer!

I heard back from Paralenz. They recommend downloading the complete DCIM folder from the camera to a computer via USB-C cable. Then, on the Camera Transfer page within the mobile app, rather than connecting to the camera at the bottom of the page, at the top of the screen there is an option where you can email yourself a link to your cloud upload service. Open that link on your computer and you can just drag and drop the entire DCIM file into the portal and it uploads everything. Currently, there's no ability to upload selectively, but once everything uploads the vids and pics sync to the app and you can delete any content you don't want.

Back
Top Bottom