parasailing after diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

just wondered about it more than anything. With an altitude change after diving increasing the risk DCS. One would be lead to believe flying then diving would decrease the risk. Just hypothetically thinking

Can't look at the reverse. Going to altitude after diving is about what happens to the nitrogen load dissolved in your blood. Going the reverse does nothing to "lower" your baseline nitrogen load, which is zero. You can't get "negative" nitrogen load by descending from altitude.

just wondered about it more than anything. With an altitude change after diving increasing the risk DCS. One would be lead to believe flying then diving would decrease the risk. Just hypothetically thinking

Different parts of your body transfer nitrogen at different rates. So depending on timing some slower ones might have less nitrogen if you had a really long flight. But the faster tissues won't and will be the problem or limiting factor.

Nice try though....

Can't look at the reverse. Going to altitude after diving is about what happens to the nitrogen load dissolved in your blood. Going the reverse does nothing to "lower" your baseline nitrogen load, which is zero. You can't get "negative" nitrogen load by descending from altitude.

I wouldn't call it zero, you're just saturated at sea level. Not that it matters a whole lot unless you're an astronaut or anything...

See I learned something new today :D. As I was under the impression that our bodies had a stored amount of nitrogen in the tissue. Which is relative to the amount in the air around us at that given altitude correct? If not we would be in and off gassing continually. With the air being 78/21 split we have to have some percentage in our bodies.

Watch for the falling barometer. Additionally, if you dive in the morning and soar in the afternoon the increased temps (i.e., density altitude) could kill you. And don't forget to check for meteors, al Qaida snipers and aliens.

Funny how often this comes up. But nobody seems to ever worry about staying in the top floor of some high-rise hotel. That could easily exceed 800 feet...

Not many buildings in the world exceed that and only few hotels.

Funny how often this comes up. But nobody seems to ever worry about staying in the top floor of some high-rise hotel. That could easily exceed 800 feet...
There are 11 hotels over 800' tall, 6 of which are in Dubai. Bangkok (2), Hong Kong, Chongqing, and Macau round out the list, according to Wikipedia. And I bet those top-story suites are pricey. So most of us--especially those who don't dive in Dubai--are justified in not worrying about it. :D

Back
Top Bottom