Passport question for Coz/Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simskiscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
My Own Private Idaho, very near Princeton, NJ
# of dives
500 - 999
Just noticed that our 15 y/o sons passport expires on Sept. 5 2012. He, I and mom are flying in to Coz on Aug. 24 and departing Aug. 31 2012.
Anybody foresee any issues?
I know some countries officially need a 6 month overlap to issue a visa (not usually strictly enforced but I'll bet they would frown on 5 days). Have looked at the mexico and usa websites and not seen a necessity but wondering if anybody has experience that would suggest I should start hustling my butt off (would be a tremendous inconvenience) to renew his passport before we go.

You might try trip advisor coz forum i remember this discussed in detail. just put in search box

Mexico requires a valid passport for entry -- as long as it's not expired, it's OK. US Border Protection would also let your son re-enter on an expiring passport. The airline agent who checks you in for your flight from the USA may be a major headache since some airlines require no less than 6-mo validity. If possible, email your airline so you have an answer in writing -- if the short term is OK, you can print proof to show at check in. You should also call the airline right now since you may need to express renew.

Thanks for the replies. Spent the morning checking with USA and Mexico Consulates. They say "no problem".
United Air said same thing. Expedited passport would end up costing about 300$ so I'm gonna skip it and renew when we get home.
Liked the suggestion about e-mailing United for an answer in writing. Will do that and check Tripadvisor.
I've gotta get out of here and get to the office!

Reactions: Jax
Have fun, Sim!!!

Reportedly Delta enforces a six month passport validity.

I just sent my husband's passport for renewal. It expires in September. We flew Delta into Cozumel in late May/early June -- a little over 3 months till expiration -- and nobody said a word.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom