Pattaya to Phuket, or....?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marcus8

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello, very experienced photog diver here, but a complete newbie to Thailand diving/travel. I'm planning a trip with friends to Pattaya in mid March for some golf and fun. But none of my friends dive and I'd like to get away for 5/6 days to see the best coral and marine life Thailand has to offer. I don't mind getting around on my own, or finding new friends to dive with. My questions are many, even after scouring through a few pages of this forum and google mapping the crap out of the place.

For one, where would you recommend the best diving for a photographer? I see the water off the Andaman Sea appears to get the most activity, obviously Phuket a serious possibility. Would you recommend staying in Phuket, or should I move around up and down the coast? I may well never get back to this region so I'm rather intent on seeing as much as I can. I'll be partying probably too much in Pattaya so a quiet setting would probably be welcome in terms of where to stay. Thoughts?

Secondly, travel between Pattaya and the Andaman coastline. It appears to be a considerable distance. What is the best mode of travel? I only have a couple weeks total, so don't want to spend a ton of time moving around or sight seeing in between. Though saving as much money as possible is also a consideration.

Accommodations? I'm definitely open to recommendations on where to stay though I know this will depend on where I decide to dive. I guess I'm assuming Phuket for part or all of it, then maybe one other location north? I'll be traveling alone for the dive portion of the trip, as mentioned, so basic, budget-minded, near restaurants but not overly party crazy areas sound good to me.

Lotta open ended questions, I realize that, but just starting this process. Thanks for your consideration.

Mark

Hey Mark, I just got back from Thailand last week. I was diving and Playing in PTY. :) If you want something a little more relaxing head to Aonang Beach, Krabi. Super quiet in Aonang. Almost scary quiet after visiting BKK & PTY. :D Around Aonang there are some crazy beautiful local islands, but from there they travel all around that area & Koh Phiphi.
Easy to get there catching a flight from BBK. There is a lot of airlines for local flights in country, but I've flight with AirAsia a couple of times while I've been there. (Dove Krabi in Sept. also) You can get a taxi from PTY to BKK for about 900-1200 baht. (around $30) the roundtrip flight from Bangkok to Krabi cost me about $160, and I bought the "hotseat" (into the front of the plane, and 1st to board). and paid for heavier luggage. So you can get it cheaper. Of all the places I've been to in Thailand, Krabi is my favorite.
I went to Thailand for the first time last March, and have been there 6 times now. (total of 5 1/2 months) Been a couple of good years fro vacations. :wink: It's a beautiful place, very fun, and relaxing. Just depends on what you're into.
Here's a link to some of the dive pix from that trip, so you can get an idea of what's in the area.
https://www.facebook.com/daz.mccollum/media_set?set=a.10201209611217465.1073741851.1086426501&type=3

send me a message if you have any more questions. I see you're close to me. (I'm in Fairfield) we could to talk on the phone too. anyway, have fun planning your trip. it's a fun place.

........daz

You can also consider flying into Phuket and take a 1 hour cab ride over to Khao Lak and board a live aboard to the Similan islands and/or the Northern route (Koh Tachai, Koh Surin and Richelieu rock).
There should be direct flights between Pattaya and Phuket, not sure if they beat the travel and flight costs to/from Don Muang (this airport is 'inside' the city compared to Suvarnambhumi, which is located at the Pattaya side of Bangkok).

Since you'd like to see as much of the region as possible; go to either Ao Nang (Krabi) Phi Phi or Phuket for daytrips to the sites like Shark Point area, Bida Islands etc., and also do 1-2 daytrips to Similans area. You can do those from Phuket or Khao Lak.

I would also recommend Hin Daeng and Hin Muang diving, but that will take more time, and that will be an issue for you.

If you only have 5 - 6 days, then go on a liveaboard as "Limbo" says. Some of the best diving is at Kon Bon, Koh Tachai and Richelieu Rock and you can book at 3 days/3 nights trip with 10 dives for 18.500 THB include national park fee and equipment. If you land at Phuket airport before 18.00 on the day of the depature, you will be picked up from there. If not, the you'll find plenty of taxi's outside arrival (remember to agree about the price before getting into any taxi's). Accommodation can be found from 500 THB/night and up.

Another option is a 3 days/3 nights liveaboard to Phi Phi Islands/Koh Haa Yai/Hin Daeng and Hin Muang. Also here you'll get 10 dives but the price, all included, is around 20.000 THB. You will then have to stay in Phuket.

If you like to go on day trips, then head towards Koh Lanta or Khao Lak. The diving is great and they both are nice and relaxing. (I do agree that Krabi is the most scenic area we have around). You are welcome to PM me if you need some more detailed suggestions.

(For your information' we do run dive centers in Phuket, Khao Lak, Krabi and Koh Lanta)

Thanks all, it's a good start. Nice pics Daz! Lots of options here the more I search.

My only conundrum at this point is that I'm not convinced I'll have sufficient time to see both Krabi region and Phuket/Andaman Sea areas. Scenery is nice but I believe quality of diving is my chief goal here. If you had to choose between them, which would you pick?

Appreciate the feedback!

Mark

Pattaya diving in my experience is really a waste of time and money. Go to Phuket would be your best bet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom