Paul Gauguin in Tahiti, anybody done this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I completed the French Polynesia PG 9/08 trip with 21 dives
Pictures at: Snapfish: Share Interstitial:Registration
Tahiti, Moorea, Bora Bora, Riaitea, Aitutaki, Huahine, Rangiroa - Tiputa Pass Drift,
Also dove, snorkled and dined with Jean-Michel/Nancy Cousteau
Saw many sharks, rasses, rays, turtles, dolphines.. only heard whales -missed seeing them..

Wondering if we have anyone on this board who has dove from the Paul Gauguin mini cruise ship in Tahiti and the society islands within the past couple years. I'm planning to embark on the March 16 departure. The diving is expensive $195 for 2 tank dive. Did anyone try using local dive operators from the ports?

We did use a local operator for one day, where no diving was offered from the boat. (That was on Rarotonga, as I recall.) It worked fine, and I believe it was cheaper. One of the other passengers arranges ALL his own diving in advance, and does nothing through the boat.

The advantage of diving off the boat, if you have few enough divers to make it possible, is that you don't have to haul your gear around anywhere. But if you are renting gear, I suppose that wouldn't be an issue.

We dove off the Paul Gauguin and used both the crew and local operators (Marquesas). The diving in the area is fantastic.

The only glitch is that the ship was recently sold by Regent, and I am not sure if the current operator retained the dive staff. If they did, the staff was outstanding. If they are new, Can't comment.

Have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom