PCB Dive Conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rebaboone

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hubby & our daughter are heading to PCB the last part of May. Can anyone give us an idea of what the current & projected temperatures are? We need to know how much wetsuit we will need. Been a warm spring here, but we are 650 miles north.

Thank You. Also do you know if they are experiencing an early spring?

Hubby & our daughter are heading to PCB the last part of May. Can anyone give us an idea of what the current & projected temperatures are? We need to know how much wetsuit we will need. Been a warm spring here, but we are 650 miles north.

I typically dive my 5mm in PCB during May. But part of that is personal preference. I know some people that will dive a 3mm and yet a smaller group that will go in a shorty. There's typically a thermocline that you hit after 30-40 ft. It'll be 5+ degrees colder under it.

I can't remember for sure, but I'm thinking last year (in mid May) it was in the low to mid 70's. (bottom temps. surface temps will be warmer.... note that most charts from NOAA, etc will be surface temps).

If I don't wear the 5mm, then I would do the 3mm with a vest sometimes. Used to I'd just wear the 3mm but seem to be getting colder these years. :)

Shore diving the Jetties will be a little warmer as you won't typically have the thermocline there as the tide movement mixes the water in/out.

Thank You. Also do you know if they are experiencing an early spring?

May in Panama City is really just Summer.

From the logbook:

Late April of 2009, temps were 63 down to 60fsw
Mid-May 2009, temps were 75 down to 55fsw
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Late April 2010, temps were 69 down to 50fsw (but 72 in the kiddie pool)
Mid-May 2010, temps were 72 down to 50fsw
Late June 2010, temps were 82 down to 70fsw
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Late April 2011, temps were 74 down to 40fsw

As you can see, even during the same time each year, the water temp can vary by ten degrees, but the curve flattens out in May, which is generally when things get nice (temp-wise) around here.

Without a scientific analysis of my dive log, I can tell you that this year, the water has already warmed up a little faster, and the viz has remained very good.

it was 72, top to bottom, at the jetties saturday. as has been noted, it's common to have a thermocline even on the inshore sights until a bit later in the year. I usually expect that to be gone by late june or so.

Maybe my comp is off but I got 75 at PCB on Apr 21 and I noticed no thermocline down to 55'.

Last Saturday it was around 70-72 on the bottom, we dove the putnam and twin tugs

Strength and red sea last Sat and we were very comfortable in 3 mil with hood. DM was if fine in shorts other diver in just skin got cold. Really depends in how hot natured you are. Prob 72-73 on those sites

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom