PCLogbook Software and compatibility with DAN research

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HI mauichick-
Thanks for your inquiry. Unfortunately, there are no updates to the current PC logbook software planned since this software is only for the IQ-700 and IQ-800 computers. New computer development also includes new accessory software development. The current 4.0 version does allow for dive data export in a .csv format if that data can be used for your purposes.

I am a new owner of an IQ-800 and would like to get the most of my download interface. I was wondering about the second part of her question, about the details of the interface between the 800 and the software. Are the technical details of the communications interface available for software developers? While it is not my current job, I do create software, usually using c+, and have a couple of dive log software programs I have created in past that have only manual data entry currently but are adaptable to an interface module for downloading. If you plan no more updates for the IQ software (which is only minimally functional anyway) you should at least release the details of the interface to the users. The information may be included in download interface paperwork, I am still waiting on it and download cable to arrive at shop, but so far I have not been able to locate it on line, admittedly after only minimal investigtion so far. Any help you could provide would be appreciated.

HI NadMat-
Unfortunately, the software is not available for alteration or adaptability. User manuals and software information can be found under the TUSA CARE section at tusa.com or HERE

Well, it would have been nice to have the interface laid out, but I can always hack that information out myself as needed to allow me to download directly into my own software, and could also throw together a simple import from csv file function in order to get the information into my own logbook program. It just would have been nice to pull the info out of a technical addendum rather than have to hack it out myself.

Thank you for your response, even if not quite what I was hoping, it was about what I expected.

I'm not necessarily interested in the source code for PC Log Book (though I can't see where it should be a big deal for TUSA to provide it. Typically, when a manaufacturer provides the source code for their hardware, it makes it *more* popular)

What I'm looking for is the details of the .LGB file format that PC Logbook uses to store its data.

Why? Because there's obviously a lot of data downloaded from the computer that I want to be able to get to but which isn't provided in the CSV file format.

What data? Well, PC Logbook can obviously display the details of nitrogen absorption in tissues. Unless it's calculating that on-the-fly inside the program, then it's getting those details from the dive computer. I'm guessing it's also getting temperature data for each point in the dive. I'd like to be able to write a program that opens my LGB files and displays various charts that PC Logbook doesn't support.

Currently, the computer I've been using continuously is an IQ-700 rented from my dive instructor. When I purchase my own dive computer, I'm going to be making my purshase decision partly on the features it provides while I'm diving and partly on the features it provides while I'm on the surface reviewing my dive data on my laptop.

If TUSA no longer plans to expand and support their dive computer software, and won't allow its users to do so, then I'm afraid I'll have to consider the ID 700/800 computers an obsolete product and look elsewhere.

Does TUSA plan on coming out with a new dive computer and supported software, or will they just continue with the IQ700/800?

Last edited:
Hi Krenath-
The current PC software was developed for the IQ-700 and IQ-800 when both computers were launched a few years ago. New computers that are in development will have entirely new software interfaces/download kits when they come to market in the coming months.

Hi Krenath-
The current PC software was developed for the IQ-700 and IQ-800 when both computers were launched a few years ago. New computers that are in development will have entirely new software interfaces/download kits when they come to market in the coming months.

You might want to consider keeping a persistent interface, or at least make the new one backwards compatible to older units, if I had 2 different computers by same manufacturer and had to use two different programs to interface with my computers I would not be pleased. It would make it less likely my new computer would also be a TUSA, I'd be willing to try someone elses computer and interface at that point.

So far my new IQ800 is great in water, only disappointment is in the lack of access to certain information from dive profile and in the general lack of effort put into the interface.

Back
Top Bottom